DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I remember writing a list of possible dog names as I very anxiously awaited for the birth of my doodle.  I  used to call my previous Baby Lover. I wanted something different, something original, therefore I arrived at the name Amante -in Italian my secret lover!!

I love to hear the names of dogs. I especially love to her stories behind the name so please share with me!

Views: 792

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cooper is my maiden name - we got married a few months after we got Cooper. We did have several girly names picked out (mainly from Lord of the Rings to match our cats names) but non of them suited our bouncy, goofy, totally non girly dog. My husband suggested Cooper - even though its a boys name, it totally suited her, and our 2 cats at the time (we now have 3) are girls with boy names (Merry and Pippin - the kitten is a boy with a boys name - legolas)

I have heard that before, using your maiden name and I love it!!!

I was able to adopt Camus because of Nietzsche (long story) and so I decided to name him after a philosopher, as well.  I chose the philosopher Camus because he was not only a French philosopher, but a member of the French resistance (resistance being key) and because my son and DIL had recently moved to Paris. 

How do you say it? Camus is awkward to pronounce in English.

Ka-moo :)

I had totally different names picked out when I got my Cooper too!   I was planning to name him "Charlie", "Rags", "Lucky", to name a few, but my hubby and son didn't like any of the ones I picked out.   Because he is a mini, we went with Cooper. One of these days, I am going to borrow someone's Mini-Cooper and take his picture in it!    We do call him Cooper B Doodle officially though.   His middle name is after my nephew Benjamin that was so determined we name him after him.   I couldn't let him down, because he has been ill all his life, but we didn't want a dog named Benji.  

I was torn between Cosmo (for Cosmo Topper) and Philo (Philo Vance). My husband chose Cosmo, but spelled with a K for Kosmo Spoetzl, founder of the Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner, Texas. I won out on the spelling, though!

Later, we realized that Cosmo Kramer from Seinfeld is also a good namesake, because of Cosmo's unruly topknot!

Cosmo has a secret middle name, William, after my father, DH's father, and my very first dog, a dachshund named William. Cosmo and my husband like to call each other Willis at times!

We got Sedona shortly after a trip to Sedona, Arizona.  The place is so picturesque with its reddish, apricotish rock formations that Sedona seemed a perfect name for our little apricot colored baby. 

When we adopted our doodle she was 6 months old.  We were visiting with our daughter and her husband and our grandson at the time so it was a real family affair!  We tried and tried to come up with a name that all 5 of us agreed on but.......it became increasingly apparent that it was not going to happen.  Our poor girl went two weeks without a name!  I finally told everyone I would name her Sunny...   I wanted to call her Sunny D (for doodle) ...but this was short lived , as my grandson came home from school that day and, upon hearing the name I had chosen, he pleaded..." NO, Nana.....not Sunny!!!  PLEASE!"  So...back to the drawing board.......I made a list and everyone had a chance to cross off any name that was particularly offensive to them.  I wound up with a short list of names that were either acceptable to all or at least "sort of" acceptable to some.  Then, because she is my dog, I made the final decision (which I probably should have done the very first day)!  I chose Bailey for her name because she is the color of Bailey's Irish Cream.  Of course, in the end, Bailey doesn't care what we call her...so long as she gets to snuggle and give kisses!!  My sweet Bailey!

I had known i wanted a name that started with the letter D. (My cat who had passed away was named Daryl and i wanted to carry on his legacy by naming my new pet with the same initial). I wanted something that had australian connection at first since he was an australian labradoodle. In fact i was planning on Darwin or Drover for a while. (There's a Darwin here on Doodlekisses which i love). My second choice was Dudley. but then as I was sipping my iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts i realized it was the same color as the puppy i was about to take home. So I ended up naming my doodle Duncan.
I also am a lover of chocolate brownies so it's also a nod to Duncan Hines. Which is why i spelled it Duncan rather than Dunkin.

I love the name Duncan--it was on the short list of boy names had I ended up with a male puppy.

Choosing a name for a new pup in a family of five is not easy.  There are a lot of opinions and just when you think you have the perfect name, someone declares, "no way!" My husband and 14 year old son were especially particular and I started to wonder if we would ever find a name they liked.  While driving in the car one day, it occurred to me that if I could tie the name to their beloved sport, soccer, then maybe I might have something.  I started running through the international players that I knew, Messi, Fernando, Ronaldo, Leo, Robben, Torres.... and then I thought of Rooney (Wayne Rooney plays for Manchester United).  I liked the sound of it and thought it would be a cute match with our other dog, Reagan.  I also felt it suited the sort of goofy, happy go lucky look of a Doodle.  But would it pass the test...

I came home and found my husband and son in the family room.  I tried to play it cool and just said casually, "What do you guys think of the name Rooney for the puppy?"  They looked at each other and both had a slow smile come over their faces.  They started laughing and my son yelled, "Rooney! Brilliant!" (which is what the announcers always yell when Wayne Rooney scores a goal).  So, that is how we named our dog Rooney's Brilliant Goal aka... Rooney.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service