DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi everyone, well... it seems summer is here in Michigan.  And, while we all LOVE this weather Rosie seems to be really hot.  I am so in love with her current "look" though.  But, her coat is SO thick.  I'm amazed by how thick it is.  Can you share your pics of your 1st cut?  I'm curious how she will look, if she will lighten and if I should even cut her.  Maybe I should just do part of her?  lol  Her belly, legs, etc.  Or will that just leave her looking silly?  Thanks for the advice in advance!

~ Stacy & Rosie

I feel like this picture shows her coat best. 

Views: 183

Replies to This Discussion

oh she's so adorable!  I would hate to cut her coat as well!  I'm not the expert here....expecting a puppy in July!

I HATED my first doodle cut- we got her done at petsmart and it totally changed her look. She looked older and to be honest, uglier. The top picture is here before her haircut and the bottom picture is her after her haircut. She looks better in the picture then she actually did. We love her just a little scruffy, and her she look groomed. No good. But the thing is, you may think your dog is hot, but they don't sweat through their fur. It's mostly through their tongue and paw pads. If you are still going to cut your doodle, I would only trim, with maybe the shortest blade on the electric clippers. Hope this helped!

Alex and Millie

If this is still her puppy coat, I wouldn't cut it yet. Their coats also protect them from the sun. You could shave her belly a bit far up the middle. It is called a tunnel and is something that is done to retievers in the summer to help them stay cool. You could do the one inch wide shave from ear to ear and under the neck where the neck folds. This helps direct air up to their ears. I shave the insides of their ears too. This makes their ears lighter and helps get the lift they need for good circulation there.

I gave Darwin his first haircut when he was pretty young. I'd say 4 or 5 months? I just shaved him down to about 1" all over with clippers.

She is precious and looks like a baby doll! I wouldn't cut her down yet. Barb's suggestion to shave her belly, etc sounds like a good plan. Simon didn't get his first professional haircut until he was 10 months old. That was because of his spiral fleece coat. It was about 6 inches long and driving us both crazy trying to keep up with the mats. I took him to a groomer who has many doodle clients. She took him down to about 1 1/2-2 inches. Even though he looked different, he was still cute as a button and it made grooming at home so much easier.
But haircuts are kindof part of the ritual of growing up.  If you plan to have her groomed at a groomers, I would say to start early so she gets used to it.  If you plan on doing the grooming yourself, just do small portions at a time.  Don't worry, it grows back quite quickly.  Shaving the belly is probably a good idea as that is the area that gets knots easily.  Maybe a little clip along the eyes, but it looks like you have already done that.  Is she an ALD?  Harpo will be one this month and he was had some experiences with grooming, a little at a time, because we do it at home.

Hi Stacy,

I am also in Michigan and I always keep my doodles in full coat...well it was so hot last weekend and the dogs were just so miserable looking that I decided this was the year that I would give everyone haircuts. It looks like your dog is still a puppy so I don't know that I would go to crazy with any major trimming. I have included a picture of my Violet with her "Summer" trim, it's an inch long so not very "Summery" but enough where she will be more manageable and feel a little better with these Michigan heat waves.

Here is a picture of my Violet in her new doo....

This is a 1" cut with an "E" guard, I love this look for doodles, shaggy enough to still be cute but easily managed to keep clean and mat free. You could use any blade guard to shorten her coat but still have it be a bit shaggy.

Looks great!
Thanks! She has the softest velvet coat and was so easy to trim.

Beans has his 1st cut this week.  It's hotter than Hades in Hilton Head, South Carolina!  He was panting like mad with his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth to the asphalt non-stop!

Before and after grooming:

I'm so happy to see all of these before and after pics!  If we do decide to cut her we will def leave her with about an inch... and maybe just leave her face alone.  Except what we have already done which is around her eyes.

Rosie is an ALF... I guess that is the same thing as ALD?  Can you tell by looking at her?  I think I'm beginning to see some of the similarities in the ALD's.  I know what ALD stands for but what does ALF stand for?  Sorry, I'm new to this whole thing.  When we got Rosie I didn't even realize how lucky I was to have gotten and ALF!  She is such a great dog!

We have already had her to Petsmart once just to get her used to it.  We will take her back once a month so she won't be terrified when she does need something more done. 

Carla...  Beans looks soooo cute!  Well, they all do... but, it's nice to see another chocolate.  And actually, Beans looks darker and not lighter! 

Rosie is beautiful!!  I love her chocolate coat...and after grooming, she looks so soft!  I'm not certain what an ALF is???  ALD  stands for Australian Labradoodle

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service