DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi everyone,

I just took my 7 and 1/2 month old fluffy doodle in for her first summer cut - she has been miserable in this Texas heat and it's not officially summer yet!

I am nervous, but the groomer has worked on other doodles from my breeder and they have all recommended her.

I was wondering as I drove home... is it proper etiquette to tip the groomer?  If so... how much?  I am a first time dog owner and honestly have no idea!

Thanks,

Christine

Views: 76

Replies to This Discussion

I would say yes, but only if you feel that he has done a good job. It shows appreciation for the work they have done. There may be others that feel that no a tip is not required, but I for one do.
I usually tip 10 - 15% depending on how well they do. If they are really great with Guinness and have done just what I asked for, I usually give the 15%; if it's just average, I give 10%, and if they did not listen to what I asked I give less or nothing. Only once did I not give any tip....the groomer shaved his face exactly like a Poodle after I told her I wanted it left long. Don't forget to post some pictures of Shelby....I can't wait to see the "new do".
Hi Christine, I did tip the groomers that have taken care of Cooper. He has been groomed a couple of times now. I tipped between 10 and 15%. They seemed to expect and appreciate it. I am not sure if this it is the same protocol if it is a owner's shop though. That is one thing I always struggle with.

I am still nervous when I drop him off to be groomed. He is still a baby to me and when he is nervous, I am nervous!

Martha
Martha, I am nervous...actually teared up when I left! Feel silly about that, she will be fine and worst case scenario.... a bad cut will grow out!
Christine, I feel the same way when I leave Cooper. I was on pins and needles the entire time he was at the groomers, but luckily, she called me in the middle of grooming to tell me he was doing fine. You could probably call just to check on her if you are really nervous. I am sure they won't mind. You are not alone! The good thing is their hair seems to grown very quickly. The second time I had Cooper done, he was cut shorter than I wanted, but a week later, he looked great!
It actually works the other way....if you're nervous, your dog will be too. If you feel confident, your dog feeds off that feeling. Hardest thing in the world is to change your feelings because as humans, we learn to mask our feelings. Dogs do not see the mask, only the real deal.

Re tipping: In my area groomers earn about $15 a dog which means speed equals money. If a groomer takes the time to listen and do a good job and keep your dog happy, I think they have earned a tip. If a groomer did 5 dogs a day for 50 weeks a year, assuming they were never sick and the shop was always busy, they would still earn less than $20,000 a year.
I think if the shop owner also listened and did a good job, a tip is appropriate.
I do tip at least 15%....Both groomers I use follow my instructions.

Post pictures..
I would say YES but only if the groomer doesn't own the shop.
Melody has only been to the groomers twice. The first time I tipped the woman 15%, and the second time 25%. She did a great job and listened to me,doing just what I wanted. The second time Melody had a few areas that had become matted after rolling on her back after a bath. I think she worked pretty hard to get those out without having to shave her. She was very good with Melody, and took a lot of time. The grooming costs $54.00, including nail trim and brushing her teeth. She keeps her face scruffy,which I appreciate. I wasn't too sure how it would turn out, but was very pleased. It does grow back pretty quickly! We have done scissors cut, and with the warmer weather coming now, may consider a shorter clip.
Before and after pics will be posted in a blog - give me about 20 minutes :o)
Think of hair dresser - do you tip where you live? If so, it is the same thing. I tip. My groomer is so caring and tries so hard to please as well as not charging much. I tip 20% or more if I have it.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service