DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Every comment you ever see about grooming a dog talks about 'brushing' your dog. I believe that brushing is just the preparation for combing which is what really needs to happen.

Views: 136

Replies to This Discussion

I'm very literal so I assume brushing is using a brush and combing is using a comb? And if so what type(s) of combs?
You took it exactly right. I think mostly people say brushing when they mean grooming and then a lot of people assume that just means a brush. I know I did. When I was at grooming school I learned the true value of a comb and combing a dog's coat to the skin. I use a steel comb with narrow teeth at one end and wide teeth at the other.
I agree! We start by using a slicker type of brush. We brush through small sections until we have covered the entire dog then we use a metal comb, if the comb wont go through to the skin without pulling the coat still needs grooming!
Hmmm My grooming experience is limited to double coated dogs like huskies and retrievers and spaniels. With huskies you are just trying like heck to get all the loose hair out. What if you just started with a comb? I have a rake and I bought a Les Pooches brush. Both work on Tigger, but the Les pooches brush leaves Roo looking like an enormous q- tip. When I took Roo to the groomer the same thing happened and I had to wet him down to get the doodle look back. Roo has what i think is very curly wool. It certainly is not matted like you see retrievers or spaniels get under their ears or on their hips or underarms. But you can't really get a brush through it very easily either. It looks best just shampooed and conditioned with a leave in conditioner and left to air dry. Is there a down side to this?
Air drying is the best way to keep your doodle's coat looking natural. The way they are fluffed at most groomers is not a good look in my opinion. I brush, comb, wash, use a finishing spray, blow the water out of the coat and let air dry.
The only time I don't do it this way is if the dog was very, very matted and I want one more time thru the coat while drying to make sure all the matts are gone or in the dead of winter when I am afraid they will get cold. I always re-wet the coat with a mixture of finishing spray and water to help the natural wave or curl return.

Well said Kate. It must have been great to learn from Beverley directly. I have the DVD's. Added to my 'can't do without list is a blower. I use it before I brush to blow any loose dirt out of the coat. My woolliest girl Amber will go from gray [she is cream] to looking like she had a full groom just by blowing the dirt out of her coat. I use it to blow the water out of the coat as well right after a bath.
Hi Sandy,
I saw your post about combing and brushing. I purchased a couple awesome combs from Kemp at the Doodle Country store and one from that Chris Christenson (sp) online store that has staggered teeth and is, from lack of better wording, totally awesome. It is pricey but worth every penny. The 2nd best comb is the heavy handled comb (forget the name) from Doodle Country. I use these 2 all the time...not that Echo likes it! I did purchase a rotating tooth comb but for me the teeth are too short and it doesn't get very deep. The CC comb is just perfect instead of the rotating comb. Hope this helps!
I know you can use a water spritz after grooming but I keep reading about finishing sprays. May I ask anyone in the know what finishing spray you use? Thanks so much!

Hi there!

Did anyone ever tell you what a finishing spray is? I am wondering the same thing! - abby 

Ahh, thank you for making it official. Our Bumble is about to turn one, and I've been discovering that it really is the comb that does the trick on her now.
I totally agree with you. Our grooming lady advised us of that on our first visit nearly three years ago. She said get a good comb and use it everyday. Do not use a brush. We also get her groomed every six weeks. Waiting any longer presents a problem for both Elaine, our grooming lady at the vet, and Dandy.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service