DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I couldn't see her eyes with all the thick hair so I scissored it last night. But now her muzzle is huge!
What can I do to thin it out?

Views: 160

Replies to This Discussion

i think she looks pretty darling just the way she is too, but thinning shears do wonders for thinning out the sides of the face if you feel you have to. She sure is a pretty girl.
I have no idea how to thin her muzzle....but this is one very cute Doodle. I want to squeeze those cheeks!
Is the very top of her muzzle cut short, not hairy? that i think is part of the problem. I just cut Luca pretty short between his eyes, he's pretty curly , too. Here's my current effort although I see the left side is a little longer than the right. I'll catch up with him tonight and even it out : )

Spud Says: Warning Luca--She is coming at you tonight with scissors again. Aghhhhhh!

If Spud hears the sound of scissors he runs.
Never make a sound until you have them cornered! Poor Calla, she had to have a reallly short belly cut today. I really never have had to do much with her but all of a sudden her belly was full of mats. Dreaded coat change? Snow? I may have to start brushing her regularly--oh joy. I did 4 ears and 18 nails too, no wonder i need a break!
the top of her muzzle is also curly so get more frizzly, curly than long. That gets a snip when it starts to stand up and blocks her vision.
If I don't clip the top of her head, she gets too poodley.

I think you did a great job on Luca! His hair is straighter like Samanta's which I have no problem trimming. It's just this curly little muppet!
I think she looks soooo cute! Maybe you could just think of it as new frame for that adorable big nose!

(not saying my advice is good...I've just been letting Callie grow and grow for winter...she's getting matted even with daily brushing so a short cut is not far behind!)
Thank you for all the advice! And having fun at poor Charli's mumpy face!!!! Or maybe muppet face!!
Her hair on the top of her head is very thick, soft, thight curls. When stretched out it is 1" long. I couldn't see her eyes so I snipped under her eyes as well. I forgot just how gorgeous those black beads of her are!!
So that leads to the issue of all that thick hair on her muzzle. It truly is quite wide. HELP!! She does look cute but like a schnauzer (no offense Schnauzer lovers but I want my Doodle face back)
OK, so let's analyze this situation. First, the picture is taken at an angle that would really emphasize what you are talking about. If her head was tilted down a bit or the pic was more from the side, I bet it would look quite different. On the other hand, the head is a bit short but will grow, so not to worry. I do 2 quick things to do the top of the head and then shape from there, One...gather all the hair on the top of the head in a ponytail that goes straight up. Cut off at the desired length. This gives a very good head shape. 2nd...gather all the hair in a ponytail right between the eyes. Cut off at the desired length. This will keep the hair out of the eyes. The cuts can be feathered with thinning shears if neccessary.
If you want to reduce the size of the muzzle, lift or brush the hair straight up to the top of the nose, being careful not to lift the flews.
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/mammals/dog/label/anatomy...
Cut straight following the line of the bridge of the nose.
Trim the beard at a 45 degree angle from the chin towards the throat.
Use thinning shears to trim any hair that might be left hanging down too far from the muzzle.
I also trim on both sides of the lips, top and bottom to make sure no hair can curl into the mouth. Do this very carefully, because a cut lip would be very messy and painful. Your dog must know how to stand still. You can put a comb between the skin and the scissors for safety.
Wonderful Great and easy to understand description, Barb. I'm keeping a copy of this answer myself.
Flews, who knew? something else I learned today and I bookmarked this page. Would this method this work well for Luca, pictured above?
Hi Barb, I just cut/pasted your words below. I have always wondered about how to clip the snout correctly. I like the fluffy hair that lies down in layers on either side of the snout. When you say to "lift the hair straight up" are you referring to one side at a time? (obviously because I can't picture doing both sides at once...duh). And when you say "cut straight followng the line of the bridge" do you mean the line from the eye to the nose? Or would it be a line across the nose? Also, do you clip with regular scissors or do you use thinnning shears? Right now I have been basically taking a side up but using the thinning shears. I am a visual person so this is why the questions. Am I making sense??? Thanks

If you want to reduce the size of the muzzle, lift or brush the hair straight up to the top of the nose, being careful not to lift the flews. Cut straight following the line of the bridge of the nose.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service