DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi all - I am in Canada, and have found a place to get Cowboy Magic, but with shipping it is basically double the price, so $30 for the small size bottle, instead of $16.  Is it really as miraculous as I've heard? Also, how quickly do you go through the bottle?  Does it take a lot?  I want to persevere and groom Toby at home, but I seem to find a new matt every day.  If I could slide through them instead of cut and comb for an extended time, I might be able to keep up the grooming on my own.  Thoughts?

Views: 872

Replies to This Discussion

I personally don't think it's that great. It didn't leave the dogs as soft as I thought it would. I found a great product at Tractor Supply that is for horses. It's the best, it cuts through mats and leaves the dogs coats so soft. Here is a link for it on ebay, for some reason I couldn't find it on the tractor Supply website. It comes ready to use. http://cgi.ebay.com/Shapleys-MAGIC-SHEEN-Horse-Dog-Cattle-Goat-Shee...

If you have a Tractor Supply store in Canada you can get this for about $10/bottle.

Hi Sandy,

I was just going to say, see if there is a tack shop in your area.  I am in Hamilton and I know you can get "Show Sheen" and "Cowboy Magic" at local horse tack shops.  You can also order it online from Greenhawk I think, but I don't know what the shipping rates are off the top of my head.  I have used the Show Sheen and it worked so so on my dog (great for the horse but not so much for Krimmi) :(

I even think there is TCS like Apple Creek Doodles mentioned in Brantford, I just don't know if they carry the Magic Sheen

Here are a few things you could try.

Make the lemon rinse and have it in a spray bottle. Use the lemon spray daily and let dry, then brush and comb.

Go to a local dog show. There are always lots of vendors there that have great products.

Try ordering 'The Stuff' . I order lots of things from Renspets and have it shipped to me in BC. The Stuff is a small bottle, but dilutes a lot and you don't use much. It's not my favourite, but it is quite good.

Is the lemon rinse good for matts, or just overall hair health?

Is there a recipe for the lemon rinse?  Do you use that if you are having a matting issue, or just in general?

My doodle is now 6 months old.  I have made it a regime to brush and comb through his coat after breakfast almost every morning as a quiet time.  Then I just give him a water mist and gently finger comb.  He is 25 lbs.  It really does not take that much time at all.  Then we go out for our morning walk.  (Can you tell, I am retired! lol)

He was beginning to have problems seeing, so I took him to the groomer I used for my standard poodle and asked for a face and feet trim and bath and took labradoodle photos, etc.  All in all I think his head looks pretty good, but she did trim the top of the head too! I said she could take a little off his head so the hair would not hang in his eyes, but his head is about 2 inches, and his body 3 - 3.5!  Needless to say he is looking a little out of proportion.  She thought we should wait until his permanent hair comes in so we know what kind of coat he is going to have before we do the complete body.  He is an Australian labradoodle and both his parents are fleece.  He looks very fleecy to me and his hair is easy to care for.  I understand it is still in the puppy phase.

As you can probably tell, I am new to grooming, other than brushing, combing, cleaning ears, and trimming feet.  I have never tried to do the complete body and it scares me that I might make a mistake.  But in hindsight, I think I his feet looked about the same after the groomer, than they did when I did them two months ago.  Maybe I could do it, I just do not know where to begin.  I thought maybe a scissor cut but I am afraid I might make a mistake and I am checking into what type of scissors to buy.  Do you have any suggestions? 

Thanks

Linda

I got Cowboy Magic a few weeks ago.  Rua is starting to matt a bit...especially since she has been getting wet in her little pool and wearing her harness.  I LOVE the smell of it and I put some on the mat and it pretty much disapeared without much effort.  I would think though, that any similar product would work fine.  I paid $13.95 at the horse store...on-line it was less, but with shipping almost the same price and I would rather do business locally if close in price.
Do you just rub it in all over or do you only put it on the mat?? I bought some at Farm and Fleet it got Chloe's right out but Myla's are under her coat more so not sure if I should rub it in more than one spot?
I bought Cowboy Magic's detangler and think it is amazing!
I wish I could find some in Canada, that didn't charge me twice the price of the product for shipping.....
I use the Cowboy Magic conditioner and I love it! I also have Ice on Ice for de-matting and it is great too, but I think I like CM better. I think it's worth it! I got it at Aslin Finch - don't know if you have those in Canada

Sandy, we use Mane & Tail instead of Cowboy Magic. We use both the shampoo and the detangler spray. At least where we live in the U.S., Mane & Tail is about half the price of Cowboy Magic.

We think the Mane & Tail works great with Cosmo. In fact, when I was young and had very long, thick, tangly hair, my mother used to use Mane & Tail on me! That was more than 30 years ago, so it's a product that has been around for a long time.

BTW, you can find both Cowboy Magic and Mane & Tail on Amazon.com--maybe their shipping to Canada is more reasonable?

Best of luck!

We use Nature's Specialties Plum Silky shampoo with conditoner on our Coco goldendoodle. Their products are gentle and natural. Our daycare uses it for their clients that come in for grooming and everyone loves it!  Nature's Specialties can be ordered online and they offer many other great products. We buy it concentrated by the ounce.  It costs $1 per ounce and it gets mixed 1 part shampoo to 24 parts water.  We love it for the way it leaves her coat so soft. She is very easy to brush out and comb and has very few matts. It has a very pleasant, long lasting fragrance that is not overpowering and Coco really seems happy after her baths with it.  We also love the Les Pooches green brush because of the bent tines and the flexibility of the brush.  It seems to be one of her favorite ways to get groomed.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service