DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi all,

I now have my force dryer and andis clippers; forgot the scissors...

I have been watching videos on how to remove mats.  Atcually,  I thought that Sarge was matt free, but after watching some videos that show the use of the dryer to find matts, I don't think he is.

.  I bought Tropiclean color enhance shampoo that was recommended here.

So...

.I'll need a dematting brush and conditioner - recommendations?    

What conditioner(s) do I need to keep his long flowing coat?

Thanks!

Views: 438

Replies to This Discussion

I use a leave in conditioner called 'The Stuff' that I dilute and also use a horse mane and tail conditioner. Both work great. I would buy a cheap dematting tool but you shouldn't need to use it that much if you are line brushing and combing right through to the skin all over regularly. I find a rotating tine comb and the Les Poochs brush do the best job on my boys who each have different coats. Riley's is finer and softer and Boris has a much thicker coat. Both need very regular brushing and combing. I do them every day but Sunday is when I do a very thorough job on both. I also use the andis clippers and a blaster which makes life much easier. Hope that is a little help.

I agree with Nicky on the use of the rotating tine comb and the Les Poochs brushes.  I have three of them (a single yellow for legs and ears and two doubles (one red and one purple for bodies).  Beau does not have near the hair that Charlie does.  Regular brushing & combing makes grooming so much easier on them.   

I just started using Ice on Ice (a Chris Christensen product) on Truffle's long and wavy fleece coat.  It's been working well so far.

I use a pin brush on Bailey then a steel comb.  I sit down and brush her out about 2 times a week while watching TV and she does not mat.  I love the Tropiclean products too. The key to controlling mats is to not let them get that way to begin with. 

Thanks, all!

The products that work best on one dood may not be right for another because their coats have so much variation. I have one dog that has a poodle-like really thick coat that mats easily and one that has a wavy coat, sheds and rarely mats. It is trickier for my matting doodle, but I have found that Cowboy Magic, Horse Mane 'N Tail Detangler, Les Pouchs brush and a rotating tine steel comb work best on him. The other guy benefits from these products, but I could use just about any brush, shampoo or conditioner on him.

I have a big variety of coats here. My older dogs are wool and my younger ones are fleece. I like Stazco products for all of them. I use the shampoo, conditioner and conditioning spray. I also use the same 3 products from Best Shot. Stazco products keep the dog smelling really nice for weeks but some may find it too strong to use but they also stay clean for longer. It's less intense after it's dry. The Best Shot products have a much lighter scent.

http://www.amazon.com/JW-Pet-Company-GripSoft-Dematting/dp/B0002AQPM0

This dematting rake works really well, and the dog has no pain. After that, I brush with the Chris Christensen T-Brush.

I use CC Spectrum 10 Shampoo and Conditioner.

Thanks, all!

I found cowboy magic at a local farm store, so I'm starting with it.   It will be nice if I can just pick it up instead of ordering it.  Another question for cowboy magic users: 

I bought the conditioner.  Do I use a spray, too, to spray as I comb him out?  If so, would that be the detangler/shine?

Thanks!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service