DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Bentley got his first real haircut today.  He's almost 11 months old and I've been usign the scissors to trim him but he's been matting alot lately so we decided it was time for a trip to the groomers.  I brought in a picture of what I wanted him to look like but she said based on his texture, he probably wouldn't come out that way.  so anyway, I picked him up and he was a big poof.  Still cute, because he is my dog afterall, but not what I was expecting.  I miss his kinky curls! 

Bentley is a F1B, so he has more poodly hair, but I wasn't expecting a puff ball.  I attached a picture of what he looked like before and two pictures of what he looks like after his cut.  My question is, is this just the texture of his fur, or is this from the brushing and blow drying?  will his curls come back?  Is there a way to avoid this next time?  Like gettting a scissor cu instead of using the clippers?  I went to this groomer because we met another doodle that used her and loved her cut, but she was probably an F1 with wavier hair to begin with.

Anyway, just wanted some opinions on if there's anything I can do different next time.  He is still stinking cute even if he is a frizz ball.

Thanks for your help!

Views: 719

Replies to This Discussion

this is EXACTLY how they look after grooming.....just spray some water on him and he will curl up again - or just wait an hour LOL!!

Don't you just love how soft they are after grooming? His hair is just like my Magic....looks like he got a really nice cut!!!! what a cutie.... :D

Thanks!  That makes me feel better.  He is super velvety soft which I love.

....oh ya, forgot to say - they get fluffy from the blow dryer and the brushing - so even a scissor cut would make him fluffy, unless he was air dried....

Don't worry, the curl will come back!  We took our Stillbe at 8 months after I'd emailed the groomer articles, instructions on the way to groom a wool coat labradoodle etc.  We were shocked to find his coat completely straight, like a giant static-y frizzball, but it came back in a few days - spritzing water on him as Cynthia suggests will def speed the process!  The groomer cut Stillbe's face too short, but otherwise an ok job for her first...in retrospect.  It looks like Bentley was cut a bit shorter all over though, so it may not be as kinky curly until it grows out a bit.

Attachments:

Ahh Stillbe, you look so cute. We miss you here. Hi from your brothers Tar and Jiriki and your sister Pokey, who still live here with me. Tar is moving in with his mother down the road soon.

Thanks Barb!  Stillbe misses his siblings I am certain, but we love him soooooo much!  Inserting a couple more recent photos. He was 46 pounds a couple weeks ago and is going through the puppy to adult coat change - NOT fun, he hates brushing etc.  He is otherwise quite happy we think, has the run of the house and the yard and lots of love and attention!

Attachments:

Stillbe is a cutie pie.  Love his crazy hair, but he's super cute in his cut also.  I do think she went a little shorter on Bentley than I would have liked, but his hair really was a mess, so I guess this is a good start over.  Does Stillbe get a scissor cut?  My groomer used the clippers and did 1" all over and 2" on his legs.  I think I would have liked 2" all over.

Yes - just get him wet and he'll be all curly again. I have a frizz ball right now too - and I scissor cut him, but then brushed him out after. I thought he'd get all wet at the beach today - but he only got the underside wet, so he's curly on the bottom and frizzy on top.

Bentley looks like velvet! I can keep my hands off Tara when she is like this!!! LOL! I do like her curls better too though! You'll be surprised how fast it grows and the others are right about wetting him down a bit to get the curl back.

Smiling Sam

Above:  What Sam usually looks like.  Below:  After grooming.  It's always quite a startling difference!

Sam Nov 6 2011

That is quite a difference but still so handsome.  I think it may be the texture of Bentley's hair as well.  His isn't as loose as Sam's.

Did they trim his ears? Thats a crime!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service