DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Bentley got his first real haircut today.  He's almost 11 months old and I've been usign the scissors to trim him but he's been matting alot lately so we decided it was time for a trip to the groomers.  I brought in a picture of what I wanted him to look like but she said based on his texture, he probably wouldn't come out that way.  so anyway, I picked him up and he was a big poof.  Still cute, because he is my dog afterall, but not what I was expecting.  I miss his kinky curls! 

Bentley is a F1B, so he has more poodly hair, but I wasn't expecting a puff ball.  I attached a picture of what he looked like before and two pictures of what he looks like after his cut.  My question is, is this just the texture of his fur, or is this from the brushing and blow drying?  will his curls come back?  Is there a way to avoid this next time?  Like gettting a scissor cu instead of using the clippers?  I went to this groomer because we met another doodle that used her and loved her cut, but she was probably an F1 with wavier hair to begin with.

Anyway, just wanted some opinions on if there's anything I can do different next time.  He is still stinking cute even if he is a frizz ball.

Thanks for your help!

Views: 719

Replies to This Discussion

Haha!  that was our uneducated error.  We use to bring him to Petsmart just to get his face and sanitary trimmed and the groomer mentioned that his ears were matted and recommended that they shave them.  I didn't have a problem with matting before so I thought that's what we were supposed to do.  Until afterwards she recommended we get a comb to work his mats out and I realized how easy it was.  I was so upset because he looked so silly, but I didn't educate myself.  It's grown out alot so far, but he has a ways to go.  Lesson learned!! :-)

Kinda looks like they trimmed him up like a poodle...I think that because of the feet, too...not sure, but I think that's how they groom poodles...

Poodle feet are trimmed up higher. This looks more like poodle toes, which works great for doodles if you leave enough length on the foot to cover them. But it will grow. It always does.

Ahhhh poodle toes.  What's the point of the poodle toes?  is it just that it keeps them tangle free?  It think it's kind of funny looking (always cute, but funny!).

Well, you aren't really supposed to be able to see those naked toes. lol The foot furnishings should cover them. The naked toes keep that area from matting and getting painful debris lodged in there and also helps keep the house cleaner.

I took my puppy in for a first grooming (no cut) and they returned him with his nose and between his eyes practically shaved AND he was all fluffy.  Have to say I am not a fan of the fluff - I much prefer the shaggy look!  Still, your dog looks really cute. I think it's what you get used to.  I was shocked when I saw my puppy, and my kids were like, are you sure they gave us back the right dog?  lol.  I sprayed some water on him to get him back to a coat I liked better!  But I did wonder if it will always happen like that when they go to the groomers!

Karen, Tara always came back from the groomer's looking like a puffball. They blow the doodle's hair straight in order to get an even cut and what you see are just the straight stubs that remain. As you found out adding water takes care of THAT problem!  My groomer also shaved Tara between the eyes and it made me crazy. I couldn't get her to stop. It seemed like she wanted to turn Tara into a poodle. I have seen her work on other doodles and they look great but maybe it is because Tara is small? I don't know but anyhow I do my own grooming now so I can get what I want!  Next time you might try taking some photos with you to the groomers of doodles on DK who have the look you want. Point the face out to your groomer and tell her point blank not to shave his face. It seems like you really have to be assertive with some groomers. Good luck!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service