DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi everyone, I'm new here and new to a dog that needs a lot of grooming.  I don't plan on doing the grooming myself... but, that doesn't mean that I won't.  I'm just feeling a little intimidated by all this hair!  lol  So, for my questions.  1) I'm used to short hair dogs that need baths every couple of months.  It seems that I could bathe Rosie every couple of days?  Is that right?  2) I just love her coat right now, she is so cute!  But, I wonder if I should have her trimmed near her girl parts now? (Part of the reason for wanting to bathe her more often) And, should I have her trimed around her eyes now?  Even though her hair is so cute I can't always see her eyes!  Thanks for the help!  I can't wait to chat with you all more!

~ Stacy

Views: 100

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Stacey & welcome to the world of doodles ♥  Let me start by saying that your puppy is absolutely darling.  I am also new to the world of dogs that need grooming but we are definitely in the right place, I have learned so much and all the help I have received on Doodle Kisses is invaluable.

From my experience with Molly so far I have learned that there is no 1 way to groom your doodle.  I think it is more your preference, so if you want to see her eyes more, trim them up a little being very careful cuz these puppies move quick and you don't want to hurt her.  Until Molly received all her shots I used baby wipes on her girl parts.  With all the hair you want to keep that area clean and the bum area clear of any cling-ons just in case it plugs her up (I read that it really happened here). Once she received her shots we have taken her to a groomer to get sanitary cuts and all the basics - ear hair in the canal trimming, belly shaving, etc.  

Good luck & PS you might want to join the group Puppy Madness :)

Thank you so much!

Welcome Stacey and Daelene to DK!  As Daelene said, you are in the right place.  Rosie does need to get her eye area trimmed.  I want to see the eyes on that cute puppy.

I can vouch, first hand, on the plug up part.  Shortly after we got Rua, she had a bit of diarrhea.  My DH (dear husband) got home to a bit of a mess in her crate.  He cleaned that up, but didn't clean her little behind.  Well, I got home from work and went to take her out.  I watched her try and try to poo...and nothing came out at first.  So, doing what any good Doodle Mom does, I look.  OMD...dried poo.  Finally, her really loose poo made it's way out.  I scooped her up and deposited her in the laundry tub for a little bath.

I used these little wipes when I am out and about (put them her little travel bag).  I also need to do a sani-trim...I am getting up my nerve.  I have gotten the clippers near her behind and I see her tense up!  Not sure what I am doing so I know she senses that.  This weekend I'll give it a go with my DH at the head end holding her still so I can get to the back end!  LOL

Hi Stacy! I use thinning shears (for people) to trim the long hair on the bridge of the nose/ between the eyes. I cover the eyes with one hand and trim with the other. It gives a natural look, rather than a blunt cut. :)

Face trims and sani trims need to be done regularly along with nail clipping, but bathing should not be neccessary very often. It can dry their skin and makes the coat less repellant to dirt.

Thinning shears are the best for clearing the hair from the corner of the eyes. I clean the whole bridge of the nose between the eyes.

Clippers are best for doing a sani clip. Carefully of course. You don't actually touch the skin, just lift the hair away from the skin with the clipper.

Congratulations, she is adorable! You definitely don't need to wash her every couple of days. I was my dog every other week, and that is even more frequent than many others here. And yes, it's better if you shave the sanitary area...
Thanks everyone!  I have an appt with the groomer on Thursday!  I know once those areas are taken care of she won't need to be bathed so much.  I'll update as to how it goes!  =)
If you are going to have your pup groomed professionally, it is a good idea to start right now with a bath, sanitary cut and around the eyes.  It helps them get used to proper behavior when at the groomer.  We use a professional - I cannot cut hair without making a mess of it.
So cute-hope she did good at the groomer!
What a precious, chocolate, doodle!  Welcome to DK.  I can't wait to see more pictures!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service