DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi!
I am planning on adopting/rescuing a Labradoodle, hopefully soon.

There is a dog that I am looking at with a curly, poodle-like coat. I'm wondering what type of coat this is classified as and the type of grooming necessary. I want the coat to grow longer and fluffier so I am willing to do the work!

this is a pic of him now, I think pretty closely clipped:

and I'd like to grow it longer and brush out to look fluffy and teddy bear-like and cute!

or, Barb, you have a pic on your site called 'Happy Zak' who also has a beautiful coat.

Can this look be accomplished with the curly coat? (with brushing)

and what products are best for this, shampoo, cond, spray on conditioners, etc.

I'm already planning on the air blower. Glad I read up early!

If these are your dogs, they are gorgeous and I hope you don't mind that I used this pic as an example of gorgeous coats....

Thanks for any and all advice,

Carolyn

Views: 185

Replies to This Discussion

This labraDUDE is adorable! Looks like he got a 1/2-1" cutdown because of ease of grooming while he awaits adoption. To me (and I'm NOT an expert), he looks like he has a fleece coat. Most doodles look curlier when they are cut short. Once his hair grows out, you will need to brush him, then follow up with a comb every other day. It's easy to keep up with if you brush him while you watch TV or talk on the phone, etc. You'll need a good quality slicker brush and a metal comb. There is a GREAT group on grooming here on DK, so you might want to check it out. There are knowledgeable, professional groomers in that group and they are incredibly helpful. :-)
If you want a wonderful companion with a great sense of humor, unquestionable loyalty and knock-out good looks, who you are willing to take to Obedience classes regularly, give regular walks and lots and lots of hugs and kisses, a doodle is definitely your dog. :-)
Hi Deborah, thanks for responding. I was looking at your beautiful dogs. Simon looks like he could be a sibling of this dog! He has the same curly hair and apricot ears! So, you are familiar with this type of curly coat. It's good to hear how you groom him then. Go hug your dogs! thanks! ps. I thought this was the grooming group, I'll join the other one, too. :-)
here is a pic of him which shows his poodle curls! he's a cutie...
Attachments:
That is a very nice looking dog!
He's precious Carolyn! His coat looks much like my Gaston-Cramer's when it's cut short. The grooming group is invaluable! You'll find tons of tips to manage his coat. He's absolutely precious! Have you met him yet? When will you be getting him. He's adorable :)
Hi Carole, No haven't met him yet....Saturday!

I was looking through your pictures....they could be siblings! They looked a lot alike from puppyhood on. This dog is from NJ, where was your breeder?

OK, so they have similar coats....how do you get that long, flowing beautiful look? Oh, I know, brushing and combing...right? What products do you use? Thanks!
I can't wait to hear about your visit tomorrow Carolyn :). I'd hardly be able to sleep tonight!

Honestly, once Gaston-Cramer blew out his puppy coat and had an episode of matting we kept him trimmed short. We only get the occasional matt now. You can see how we keep him groomed now in the pics of him with Rosie. Gaston is an F1B Goldendoodle and Rosie is an F1 English Goldendoodle. Their coats are distinctly different and polar opposites to care for. Gaston had that "long-flowing look" or the "Bob Marley" look as we called it for only a brief time as a puppy. It was fun but we find the shorter trimmed coat more manageable with our lifestyle. :) The only product I use on him is a nice bluing shampoo on occasion. Both of them are mudd magnets right now LOL
The only advise I would give, and I'm sure you've gotten it somewhere along this thread, is to stay on top of the matts. I found a nice small matt cutter comb (I actually use one that was made for cats!) easy to work with on the hard to break ones but a metal comb has been invaluable.

His coat is beautiful and healthy looking though Carolyn.....he looks stunning just the way he is :) . Do you know the back story on him as to how/why he came up for adoption?
OOOhhh he is tooooo cute! I couldn't resist that face :-)
Thanks BruceGirl!

I can't find the grooming group. There is another one? Help!

thanks!
You posted right, this is the grooming group. :)
He looks like wool to me. You can get this look [Pearl]

, but my Zak has a pretty straight fleece coat.
Thanks Barb...Can you suggest products to get a nice healthy shine? I will, at least during some times of the year, let him grow out and brush/comb to get a longer look. I've seen a pic of him with a straight look.

I'll attach the picture.

Thanks for responding!

Carolyn
Attachments:

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service