DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I had my 10 month-old Labradoodle shaved three days ago, as I was unable to keep ahead of the mats during the transitional coat phase. As expected, his coat looks just awful. He went from huge shaggy bear to skinny sausage! The poor little guy was the most adored dog in the neighborhood and now he's hit the status of a pariah. We live in NYC, so the decrease in attention is significant. He is used to getting constant attention on our walks!

Since the cut, he has appeared to be very depressed. He is clearly out of sorts... napping excessively, pacing about anxiously, demonstrating little interest in his toys. He is also startled every time his tail touches his body. He's showing no signs of illness. We are wondering if he could be depressed due to the change in coat? Perhaps he is very sensitive? Maybe he know just how ugly he looks? (:

Views: 148

Replies to This Discussion

Yankee seemed depressed when he got shaved but it didn't last long, maybe a day.
I read your entry with interest and hope by now your puppy is perking up a little. Mitzi was shaved down with a 1/4 " attachment over the weekend. ( I did it myself.) We love it and she senses that we love the way she looks and feels. She is very happy with her new "do". She was both matted and very hot as our air conditioner had stopped working. I was a bit
concerned when I started to take down her fluff, but the end result has pleased us all, especially Mitzi who is cooler and a lot more active now. Give him a hug for us and wait two weeks, his hair will grow back faster than you expect.
He will feel whatever you feel, so if you give off 'ugly' vibes then that is how he will feel. If you give off happy vibes and help him get used to the extreme difference about how a pat feels, he will feel good about it. My dogs usually feel free after shaving. I do try and aviod it, but I have succumbed a couple of times. :-)
I'd love to see a photo of this cut that has you so disappointed. Duff loves being cut shorter...well he likes it when the actually buzzing is over with. He is extra soft when his hair is shorter and can deal with the heat much better. I agree with Barb about the signals you are sending him. However, you may be onto something when it comes to less attention on his walks. Duff would be disappointed if he didn't get the attention he was used to. If the groomer did a decent job and everything is even, then I would help him embrace his lack of fluff while he has to deal with it. His behavior will also effect the way people react to him...so if you are embrasing his look and being positive, then he will, and in turn others will also - hopefully. Best of luck!
I didn't have my dog shaved but did have her first grooming at around 8 mos. and she acted very strange for a day or two. Not herself at all, a little embarrassed is how I described it. She looked great, no real complaints from me. I think that perhaps the fact that a stranger was firm with her to accomplish the grooming was what she was unaccustomed to as well as the noises associated with it from the clippers, blow dryers etc. I'm sure your pup will be find in a few days
I also agree with Barb, he is feeling your discomfort. Usually I see a happy dog, free of tight matting. He is sensing your unhappy feelings. Try to show how beautiful he is and happy he is to be free. Get out and let him run,. he will love playing with you.
My puppy felt so much better after her first big haircut--getting that puppy coat off made her cooler and she ran around like a nut! The groomer really took her time and was gentle so that Lyric would not "freak out" when she came back in the future. All dogs are different, but Lyric seemed fine afterwards.
I agree with Barb, it's your reaction that the dog is sensing. You could shave stripes on the dog and paint them orange and the dog wouldn't have any sense of how that made him look, but they are so very sensitive to our reactions that if you are upset by it or think it doesn't look good, they read that immediately. Be happy and relaxed in the presence of your dog and he will think he's the cutest thing ever
I too just had my pup shaved and felt vain and concened about all the things you said..the constant attention he got etc. I was very nervous and called a mobile groomer so I coud "supervise" which helped me not to be shocked and understand why she had to shave. She ended up listening to me and left the unmatted areas like the top of his head and face long, the back longer than the rest, and the remaining where there were mats, closer to the skin. He looks very skinny and different but still cute. She evened it out so it is hard to tell the body is different lenghths, and when it begins to grow back we can even it again. He has not eaten well since then and I never thought it was from that, but who knows? Seeing the work in progess I know I did the right thing, and hopefully he will be long in the winter and shorter in the summer. happy to share pics of the process if you care to "do it my way" next time. Just relax..it will grow back, and dogs are not vain..just people!!!
Hi Ann, we are having Whopper groomed this saturday by a mobile groomer we have been using. She is 9 1/2 months and the mixing of the coats has now caused some matting we couldn't keep up with. Previously they have done a great job of keeping her long for us but the matting has quickly gotten out of control in certain areas. I am hoping they can trim her body down but obviously do not want her head/face, ears, or tail shaved at all. The worst matting is on her sides and her chest so hopefully they'll be able to work with us. I'd love to see the pictures of your process so that maybe they can help us guide our groomers this weekend.
Give me yor email address and I will send the pics I took. mIne is ABKT52@aol.com
I just took Abby's coat down with a 1/4 inch attachment. I think she looks darling - she is so soft. She was pretty matted because I'm thinking she is losing her puppy coat - she is 10 months old now. Hopefully after she loses her puppy coat, I will be able to leave her longer - I like her best at about 3 inches. But if matting is going to be a problem, I will keep her shorter.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service