DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Bexter is 10 months old now, and has never been to the groomer yet.  I have been trimming his face, doing his nails & ears, and also his potty area.  However, it is sooo time.  I have put it off because I'm so nervous!  I found a groomer I think will be good who I heard through word of mouth.  This groomer is familiar with doodles.  Before I go on Monday, I was wondering if any of you have a suggestion as to the length.  He is probably like 6 inches long now.  I want him to be NOT SHAVED, and to basically look more like he did when he was younger.  I am thinking 2 inches.  Does this sound like a good length?  What length do you all get your dogs clipped/cut to?  Any pictures would be great too!  Thanks!

Views: 1187

Replies to This Discussion

Good luck! I've been following your post because I'm in the same position! Jack is almost 9 months and although he was trimmed once will be needing a good cut. We have been line brushing. Don't know of a great groomer...! It helps to read all the advise and have a little more knowledge going in.Can't wait to see the outcome!

Sandy...I KNOW it.  I am so upset really.  I have been missing him all day.  I feel cheated out of a day with him because I am off work today.  If I had known it would take ALL DAY, I would have dropped him off before I had to work, not take him when I had a day off!  I am going to this groomer because my neighbor loves her.  We will see...She said some things that I didn't really like actually when I dropped him off.  She said that "He is just a 10 month old puppy.  You aren't going to get him to look like a show dog."  She said that when I was giving my list of instructions.  I guess she thought maybe I was being too picky.  When I asked if she scissor cut, she said, "We do scissor cut, but with his coat it would take hours, and I don't think you could afford that."  Geez!  So...He is being clipper cut to the longest length the clippers go, which she assured me is longer than a picture of a dog I DON'T want him to look like.  I took pictures in of what I want him to look like and what I DON'T want him to look like.  I hope he's ok.  I called once, and they said he was doing great and that he's a good baby.  I know he's good.  I just hope he's not so stressed.  She said she's taken him out to go to the bathroom (God, I'd hope so).  I didn't even think about water.  Surely they give him water????

The groomer will take good care of him!  They will make sure he gets to go potty and give him water!  You are such a good mom to be worried!

The nice thing about the grooming is that you won't have to do it that often...so you won't be cheated out of too many days!  

So....I hope you have before and after pics to share!  Oh, and just be warned...it's likely going to be a bit of a shock when you see him so don't freak out. No matter how good a job they do on my doods, I never like the cut for a couple of days.  Everyone else thinks they look great, even right from the groomers...but not me!  I am always surprised and I need time to adjust!

can't wait to see him!  I loved Sophie after I finally got the nerve to cut those long curls, so I'm hoping you will box Bexter as well! 

Since by now you must have picked Bexter up, I will tell you a story. Someone I know had a Bernese Mountain Dog, who became very ill due to dehydration and a heat stroke-like condition while at the groomers. So no, they don't always do what they should.

I agree.  I think sometimes too it may be that the dog is so nervous they won't drink.  I know that L&S will not drink out of a community dog dish at a dog event or dog park.  Not that I mind, because I always have water, but I've just noticed they will go up and sniff and walk away.

ack!!!  I think I've had better luck!  I know the dog groomers that I have personally gotten to know are very conscientious.  eeeeek!  I think the answer here is *get to know your groomer*!!

OMD!  OMD!  OMD!  He is EXACTLY what I wanted him to look like really!  I can't even believe it!  I am going to figure out how to post the before and after pics now.  I wanted to make sure we had a walk this evening & he did all his business & just finished dinner.  He seemed fine.  They said he was awesome, especially for a 10 month-old puppy.  I am a VERY proud doodle mommy!  They suggested I come in every 6 weeks to keep the look if I wanted.  I am thinking...I need to learn how to do this myself to save money!  I am happy happy happy!  F-Thanks for not telling me that sooner.  I would have freaked.  I did make sure though that they do NOT put him in that dryer thing.  They said they don't think that is humane & they don't even own one.  They said that is a big part of what took so long - that it took him forever to dry with all that hair...Then of course, she said she spent 3 hours dematting...Now that I know what I'm doing, hopefully that won't be an issue anymore.  Stay tuned for the pics.  Working on them now.

YAY!!! I'm so glad he looks like you want him to!!  Can't wait for the pictures!

Finally, here are the pictures!  Pretty dramatic I'd say.

He looks adorable!!! So glad for you!

OMG Adorable!  No wonder you are happy with the results. You must be relieved!  

He looks so much like Luke in that picture...see what I mean?  ...Luke is the little one :-)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service