DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

With 2 doodles I've finally decided its time to start doing my own grooming. For years I've given baths and dried with a high velocity dryer, as well as trimmed up the face, bottoms and paws, so  it seems only natural that I take it to the next level. The biggest reason is cost. With 2 doodles we spend over $130 every 6 weeks. The 2nd reason is I'd get the groom I want rather than being disappointed, or at the very least, I'd have only myself to blame if I were unhappy. I found an online doodle clipping video that I'm comfortable with trying to duplicate and I've researched the necessary grooming tools/equipment and feel fairly confident with my choices. My only questionable choice is a grooming table size. My doods are both 50+lbs. (they're both sleeping now so I can't take a total length measurement on them, but I know they both have a 24" neck-to-tail measurement). So, my question is, would a 36" long table be adequate? That's the size I'm considering, but I'd hate to order it only to find it too small for the doodles. Does that size sound right?

Views: 1227

Replies to This Discussion

What dryer did you go with. We have spent the morning researching dryers online, and I have been totally sucked into doodlekisses.com ALL day searching key words and reading and learning. I am ready to start mini grooming sessions. More importantly, I have a swimmer with skin issues and I need to get a great dryer to really dry him up and stop this madness of yeast and stink. Poor baby! Does your dryer have the heat function too?

Hi Anita, I decided on the XPower 4HP Variable Speed 2in1 Dryer & Vacuum (ProBlaster). I probably won't use the vacuum on it, and my decision has more to do with the power, variable speed function and noise volume. I looked at Metro, Bear and K9 as well. I already have a Metro Quick Draw (1.3 HP) and its been a real work horse in the 3-1/2 yrs I've had it, but for clipper prep I need something stronger. I'll delegate the Metro to feet cleaning only in our downstairs powder room (with a walk in shower for washing up feet). Good luck with your decision!

Have you received your dryer yet?  I'm waiting anxiously to hear how you like it.  I'm slowly gathering all of the tools to do my own doodle grooming. I have a few tables in mind, and might just end up with an inexpensive one I found on Amazon yesterday that has a basket under the table.  I'll be doing my grooming outside, so portable weight is important for me.  http://www.amazon.com/Pingkay-Quality-Midsize-Profession-Grooming/d...  It's about $105 with shipping.  I'm having my beau look for a used one also. 

Not yet. It arrives Thursday. I ended up deciding on the XPower 3 HP instead of the 4HP. I think 3 will be plenty strong enough. After purchasing all the other gear (table, steps, Chris Christensen shears, Andis clipper, attachment combs and slickers and mat rakes) I couldn't justify the added expense of the additional 1HP. The 3HP also has the variable speed and with only a couple differences is the same as the 4HP. I'm getting a little anxious about that first full groom. I've heard it gets easier with time, but I'm still feeling nervous. All the times I've been disappointed with the way the doods were groomed, now it's all up to me alone to get it right. Or not so right. It will be a work in progress I'm sure.
Good luck finding a suitable table. I originally looked on Craig's List but found nothing. I ordered my table from PetEdge. It was the best deal I could find for the size I needed. It folds for storage. Crazy shipping, though.

I forgot to address your last question.. I think most high velocity dryers do NOT technically have a heat function, but they all draw the air over the motor which does warm the air. The Metro's air definitely does get warm after a few minutes. I haven't yet purchased the XPower, but I believe it's air also warms a bit too. The only time I would even really want any heat at all is when drying the face. The high velocity dryers blow the water droplets off the hair and skin, so heat is really not necessary, but, as I said, I think they all get a little warm (which is as much heat as you'd ever want to have on a dog, anyway).

Thank you so much. I just Googled that dryer. On Amazon, one person said it was so quiet and the next said it is loud. :) The noise is an issue for me for many reasons...my ears, my dog's ears, and my dog's skittishness!

I think it comes down to the noise level you're accustomed to with your current HVD, or if you've never owned one, the noise can be surprisingly loud. The XPower is advertised as being 40% less loud than comparable dryers, but I fully expect it to be louder than my Metro's 1.3 HP.

Debb -- Our table is 24 x 42 and it is fine for Lucy who is 80 lbs.  Here is a photo (although not a good one) of her laying on the table.  I got the electric so I could raise and lower for them to jump on and off and also to raise them up to jump in the tub.  My back is too old for 80 lb doodles.  I personally have not purchased a dryer as I just let them air dry.  I always cut and then bath afterwards.  I know a lot of people do it the other way around.  I just want to be able to wash out any of the little hairs. 

Thanks, Lucy & AnnaBelle's Mom,

When I saw that first picture I thought Lucy looked about 30lbs... not the 80lbs you mentioned (I first viewed it on an iphone). At home on the computer screen she looks much larger :)

My 2 are much smaller than your Lucy, so I started thinking 36" long would be fine... and I just measured out 36" in Oscar's 42" long crate and put him in it. It appears he (and Lucy, since she's basically the same size) would have plenty of room.

I love your table... AND tub (green with envy here). What back savers, both of them. I have an upstairs tub for bathing and it sometimes does a real number on my back. We don't have any space for an elevated tub like yours (except maybe in the garage, which isn't practical in the Winter (or hot Summer months either, for that matter), so I guess I'll just have to struggle through. I'll be getting a step type ladder for the table, though, one that's made specially for attaching to the table. 50+lbs. is too much for me to lift, unfortunately.

Thanks for the pictures!

Collapsable ramps are the way to go.  They have them for loading and unloading elderly dogs into a car and they just fold up for storage.  My dogs trained very easily to use the ramps.

I ordered the steps already. I already use a 2 rise step stool for getting the doods into our SUV. We have a hammock type sling in the back seat which makes it real hard for them to jump in (they get hung up on the hammock). I could lift them when they were under 50lbs, but now that they're both over, it wrenches my back to lift them. If DH is there, no problem :)

Oh no, I wrote a huge reply and lost it.  We are a dedicated two-doodle family and many times have more than two doodles.  We do all of our own grooming and when my husband remodeled the house (built a new garage and laundry room) I told him I wanted a dog grooming area.  We have double sinks in the laundry room with counters on both sides of the sinks.  They are 36 inches high.  Groucho Too (30 inches and 85 pounds) is too large for me to lift so he "walks the ramp" to get up to the grooming area.  Harpo (24 inches and 50 pounds) just jumps up onto the grooming table.  It is so much easier using a grooming area than washing them in bathtubs or showers.  The floor is a concrete slab so after bathing I just mop it if there is water and soap on the floor.  We love it.  BTW, the more practice you get with grooming, the easier it becomes.  Our dogs have never been boarded or gone to a groomer.  We save a lot of money by just doing it ourselves.

Take a look at my photos.  I think there are some grooming photos is there.  (Whoops, I checked.  They were deleted.)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service