DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I had a groomer tell me that dogs who swim a lot take on a foul "dirty laundry" smell that you can't get rid of. Has that been anyone's experience? I hope it's not true - my doodles love to swim.

Views: 111

Replies to This Discussion

Mine don't swim, but one of my customers has a big cream boy of mine. He has never been washed in 2 years. They take him to swim to clean his coat or brush him. They are fastidious people and he looks great. It must the the type of water or the particular type of coat.
My two doodles swim nearly everyday in our pool. They smell fine. I do usually rinse them quickly with cold water after, but not always. I do need to replace their leather collars which I seldom remember to remove, because the collars stay wet a long time and don't smell too good anymore.
Dalai loves to swim too! We take her where she can enjoy the water. Since April she has been to the Atlantic Ocean 2X (including the Dewey Beach Doodle Romp (and I had her groomed to look like a doodle?) Lake Keowee, SC, May. Then to a pond for a friend. All this added up to another trip to the groomer to shave Then we opened our pool the 2nd week of May. She does invite doodles and other breeds over for swim dates. I haven't noticed if they are offended by her natural instinct to love the water. Maybe I would feel better if I took her to the groomer more often!
Mitzi swims a lot! Never noticed a foul smell around her, but she does gets shampood at least once a month and often
sprayed down with fresh water from the hose after swimming, just to wash off the chlorine from the pool.
Yes and no. Spud is a lake swimmer. In a chlorine pool or the ocean maybe not but in a lake he has smelled but it is not until I groom way down to the skin that I actually notice an odor. Spud has a dense, curly coat. It takes a long time to dry. It is difficult to groom.
The outside dries first and I believe the hair closest to the skin stays damp--then mats. Even after last months bath I still could not get him all the way clean/odor free. The coat looked good, but something was not right.

I'm not a groomer--it is just what I found with my two swimmers.

Starlit has a soft beautiful wavy coat and she does not smell after swimming in the lake or a pool. She is easily brushed out after her coat dries and it dries fast.

If it starts to smell, get sticky, and you can't do a good grooming close to the skin you may want to shave the dog down for the summer. That's where I found the odor. The skin will thank you. Dogs have no vanity.
I'm not a groomer but it's just how it is with my two.
I use a Kelco shampoo called Ultra MD. It kills bacteria, viruses and fungus. My doodes get very sandy all the time as we live in a very dry area. I think the sand under their coats could potentially carry unwanted hosts, so I use this first, and then my coat conditioner shampoo for the second soaping.
This type of shampoo may work well for swimmers too. Quite a few companies have a similar product. You have to leave the soap on for 5 minutes for it to do it's work.
A short coat for swimmers is still a good idea. The dogs need to dry quickly for their health. You are right about the no vanity thing. Lets just be comfortable!
Thanks for your advice, everyone. Tangie loves to swim and has never smelled. Our new girl, Cricket, has a curlier coat - so according to some of you we may have a possibility of stinkiness. I'll make sure they both get a good rinse after they swim and keep a close "nose" on it.
Yaaaaay! Let the Fun Begin!!!!!!
my doodle Little Debbie also swims constsantly she ahs a soft fleece curly coat we finally got her shaved and now the smell is gone and she dries..

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service