DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I have a question about the coat type.  If a doodle has really wiry-feeling hair, what do you call that?  Her hair is softer on the head and the legs, but hard & wiry along her back.  You can see the little "wires" sticking up.  She sheds some too.  F1 standard goldendoodle.  If they are "wiry" or whatever you call that, is it possible it will change?  She is 13 months old.  What if you brush every day & use silk spirits, etc.  Would that help to soften the coat?

Views: 4306

Replies to This Discussion

Who is this Doodle who is 13 months old?  Are you trying to tell us something or did I miss some news.  I thought Bexter was the same age as Riley who will be a year old next month!!!! Also you said SHE.LOL

BTW I think at 13 months it's unlikely to change.

My ALD has some dark wirey hair on his back and particularly on his tail.  I just figured it was part of his adult coat.  He doesn't shed but I don't brush him as I have been trying to cord him for about a year.  I heard somewhere that this hair was called "hemp" but I don't know about that.  I thought hemp was something else, but it is rather like rope.

I think you are thinking of kemp...not hemp.  :)

The pics I just looked at from the dog in your profile pic, look very similar to my Bridget. She just turned 6 months old yesterday. I often hear her coat referred to as "shaggy." Take a peek at my photos :-)

I have had some luck with more wirey coats by changing the diet. For 2 of my dogs I took them off all forms of chicken and their coats got a lot softer. Also, if you shave a dog with kemp, it seems to cause the kemp to stand out above the soft coat. Scissoring changes this around.

Hi! I just have a question, our puppy was started on food called health diet chicken first, and we noticed today that his stomach fur is getting more wiry, just wondering what you switched the food to to help his coat stay soft?

Nicky...Obviously now you know I was talking about Maggie!  You made me laugh when I read your post.  Smart lady! Yes, you're right about Bexter and Riley being the same age.  Maggie is just a couple months older than Bexter.  Can you believe our babies are almost a year old?

Tricia...Your Bridget is gorgeous!  You are talking about my redder dog Bexter.  He is shaggy & he is a soft fleece.  When I say soft, I mean pure silk and heaven to pet.  Maggie (the lighter dood) is my new one with more wiry hair.

Barb...Thanks for your advice!  She is eating lamb right now (same food breeder was feeding her).  I'm curious to see if scissor cutting would make a difference.  I know she just got shaved not very long ago at the groomer. 

I'm going to brush & do silk spirits by Chris Christensen every day like I do with Bexter & see if it makes a difference.  Can't hurt to try.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service