DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Does anyone here have synthetic grass?  I am looking at loads of large bare mud patches and thinking it is time to do some drastic landscaping in our yard. I want something very easily maintained so am looking at decking, patio and some grass. The boys run hard up and down the yard which is about 100 foot long and 25 foot wide. In my previous lives I have had two gardens one tiny one and one huge one. Both of them designed and planted by me and both of them labors of love.  This time round I want the easy life. I am thinking some large patio containers, lots of wall coverage and perhaps some fruit trees but very low maintenance and something that will look good all year round. Of course we have to do all of this on the lowest budget and we won't be ready to start until the end of the Summer. I don't know whether to design it and get individual people in to do each job or get a landscaper in to do the lot. I'm just at the early stages of thinking about the whole thing but I am determined not to go through another winter with muddy dogs and a muddy depressing garden. 

Views: 105

Replies to This Discussion

I thought a remembered an old discussion on this.  Long time ago but info should still be good.

http://www.doodlekisses.com/forum/topics/synthetic-grass-lawn-prosc...

Many thanks.

I don't like the idea of synthetic grass but we have discussed as Sheri points out. We also have some discussions in the Garden Group. Especially in green Ireland synthetic grass seems a travesty. Of course low work gardening is my favorite.

I know F, my Mom would be turning in her grave as she was a terrific gardener and cook and hated anything 'fake'. The grass was great before the boys but as it is quite a small yard they have worn all the grass away. We do keep reseeding it but it's just not lasting. Maybe I will re-think and have a small grass area in a place the boys don't run...? I just love the idea of easy :)

I say go for it.  I am so tired of the mess our grass - now weeds and dirt.  It is not in my budget but if it were, I would go synthetic in a heartbeat.  We use a doggy door so I have no control over the dirt and leaves coming in.  Our floors are a constant mess - something that wasn't so bad when we had grass of some sort.

We put artificial turf in the play yard part of our yard last summer. It is where we have our 37 year old swing set and playhouse which we put in for our now adult kids. But, the grandchildren love it when they come visit. We had old decomposed granite in the area and it was all but gone from the years of weather and such. Weeds were growing up and it caused a dust storm when the wind came up. We love it! I really want to replace our entire back lawn with it but my DH informed me that I was crazy because of the expense. We have a very large yard!! Our elderly neighbors just put it in their back yard about 6 months ago and it is perfect for them plus it cuts down on having a gardener or the price of one since they don't have to mow. Our other neighbors have two labradors and a very small back yard. They put it in about 2 years or more ago for their dogs to have a place to do their business. They seem very happy with it. When we bought ours we were told that with time urine would start to break down the artificial turf. They have a spray that you can treat it with every week or so. We didn't buy it because Gracie uses our regular lawn. I have only once caught her going on the turf and that was when it was new. Though my granddog is here visiting and I caught her squatting on it the other day. We had a huge rain last night and today so no worry. If I see Gracie do it then I will just get the hose and rinse it off. I usually rinse it once a week when I am hosing the walkway anyway. Better safe than sorry. There are so many artificial turfs to chose from. You will go crazy trying to pick the one that looks real!! I think it would be a great solution to your problem. Go for it!!

I have Easy Turf in the large dog area of the yard and I wouldn't trade it for anything.  It has been in 5 years and is still trouble free.  The remainder of my yard is pool, concrete and easy maintenance flower beds that are mulched twice a year because of our hot dry climate.  The mulch (bark chips - not cocoa bark which is toxic to dogs) also protects the roots of the plants not just from sun but from running, sliding dog paws and keeps the dog paws dirt free.

Thanks Maryann, I think you've sold it to me:)

But your climate is totally different don't forget.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service