DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

posted for Shirley Ames

I hope this topic is all right to discuss on here. When I bought my GD she was 11 weeks old. I made an appt with the vet for her wellness check and her shots. I and the vet noticed that the hair around the vulva was becoming red stained. He asked me a lot of questions about whether she licked herself a lot, and she does, if she went potty often and how much did she void at a time. Now she is almost 7 months,and she Is continuing to lick. When she was six moths old, she had her first cycle, and it was hard to determine that that she was in heat, because she licks so much, that the hairs stay wet, and of course stained. I was doing some research the other day which said that doodles can be allergic to their own saliva Which according to them caus the hairs to stain. Have you ever heard that theory. I have raised dogs and had a few litters (not Goldendoodles however) and never had a staining problem What do you think about this problem? Sorry for the long post Shirley, Abigail, chardonay, and Glacier

Views: 1515

Replies to This Discussion

Saliva will naturally stain the fur. It has nothing to do with being allergic to the saliva. If the dog licks herself constantly in any area, she's going to get reddish staining, and if it continues, she's also going to develop a moist dermatitis infection.

To me, it sounds like the dog may have a UTI or some other urinary tract problem. It's not normal for her to be constantly licking herself on any area of her body unless something is bothering her there. Do you keep the area around her private parts trimmed? (Called a sanitary trim).

She really needs to be seen by a vet. I would make an appointment with the vet to have an exam and a urinalysis done, and I'd schedule her spay surgery, too.

Karen - offers good advise.  I was thinking that if the licking  has just developed into a "habit" - try putting a cone on her so she cann't lick herself and see if you can break the "cycle"

My GoldenDoodle is almost 2 yrs old. We we bought her at 8 weeks, she was very red all around but as she grew older she turned blondish or creamy white as your pup. Her  "area" down there is still very red/mahogany.  Her  long eyelashes are very red and the hair around and under her eyes are reddish. Her beard is white but up near her nose is still traces of reddish hair and under her chin it is very mahogany/reddish. It's soo cute. There are tufts of red under her arm pits too. All the red colors are the same shade with the vulva being a little more red. I think that is just the way she is.  The fur in between her paws is also very red and the vet was worried about  staining and possibly allergies and chewing her paws etc. She doesn't chew, bite or lick her paws. She licks her private area on occasion but not excessively.  The one time she did lick continuously; she wouldn't sit still and she was very agitated. She did have a vaginitis which was treated with antibiotics and a steroid. She was in heaven and didn't lick at all!!!!  They said her hair was too long and the combination of urine and longer hair caused the problem. The vet said to make sure we kept her vulva area very short and practically shaved.  As far as the color goes, that just might be her color.I hope you find some answers. It's not fun to worry and wonder about our doodles.

My little girl was black but her muzzle, her behind and if she chewed any area it would be turn brown. My vet said this was normal from saliva. Hope this is all it is for your cutie.

Rule out vaginitis and a UTI and get a good sani trim and see where that goes. Dogs get protein stains and that happens around mouth, eyes and sani areas and may be completely normal.

Calla has mahogany staining as well and she does not lick much We had a discussion, including bets if I recall on this a while back. I believe most of it is from a particular fungus and is just cosmetic usually.

http://www.doodlekisses.com/forum/topics/fur-on-goldendoodle-s-chin...

In this particular case, I don't think it's just her coloring, because according to the original post, she is constantly licking herself in that area. There has to be a reason for that, and it needs to be investigated by the vet.

Thank you all for your suggestions and great advice. I will call the vet in the morning and have him take a look at her. I have to go in in the morning to pick up some more flea medicine, maybe he can peek at her then. Dr had seen this once previously,but didn't seem real alarmed about it. I noticed tonite she was licking the inside of her back leg with big slurping sounds..
I didn't mean to infer that she is licking constantly, but she does lick herself daily

I am so grateful for this site. It has a wealth of knowledge and very helpful friendly people.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service