DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Now that Emma is approaching four months, it seems she is asking for more food. She's been getting three meals a day, totaling one cup, but today she asked for more at lunchtime and at dinnertime. I was wondering if this is normal, or if it was just a "fluke". I suppose that if she is wanting more food it's because she needs more. Anyone have the same experience with their pups?

Views: 69

Replies to This Discussion

I really don't know. I always went down to 2 meals at that age..............so maybe split the feedings up into two, so there is more to eat at one sitting to fill this little girl up. How is her weight and activity?
Emma now weighs about 11 pounds and I've been taking her to the dog park most days where she runs and plays with her "friends." Now this morning, I put her food down and she hasn't touched it - yet! So, who knows, maybe yesterday was a more hungry day . . .
Yeah that could be. My vet told me to feed my puppy only 2 times a day. Try looking at the back of you dog food bag to see what they suggest. If you threw it away try checking their website.
If you can't find the feeding chart on the bag, look on the bottom. We are using Wellness Puppy and I couldn't find the feeding chart for the life of me...eesshhh..

Trowby
I feed Innova puppy food. I still feed Beckett 3 times a day. (Per vet and package instructions.) My vet said to feed 3 times at 1/2 cup for each feeding untill 6 months or so. Then go down to twice a day.
You know, I always "free-fed" my puppy. She never ate alot - just grazed and still does. It's worked very good for me and I don't have to think about feeding her all the time. My breeder suggested doing that. She's got many dogs and free-feeds them all. None of them are over-weight. How do other people feel about free-feeding their dogs?
Riley was a very picky eater until now...she is 4 mo/1 wk old and she is now eating ALL of her food at each of her three feedings. She eats 1/2 cup at each feeding and we are in the process of changing her food from Iams to California Natural. When we brought her home at 10 weeks, she weighed 8lbs...she now weighs 16.8. I think she is GROWING like crazy AND she is TEETHING so maybe the crunch of the dry food feels good...I don't really know. The other element is that the weather is getting cooler and I think she is more inclined to eat now that it isn't so hot. She isn't fat...her little body is slim and trim but I think all of her nutrients are helping her to grow into her long legs and big paws :)
It's so interesting how people approach feeding so many different ways with great success. I'm curious about this too, Diane... Just the past couple of days Lily (almost 3 mos., probably about 10 pounds) seems starving all the time and I'm wondering the same thing. I'll look forward to hearing what you decide. She is only eating 1/4 cup 3 times per day, some newer kind of dog food called Taste of the Wild. I think maybe she needs less because it is incredibly nutritious... bison and venison (my vegetarian 12 year old is mortified!). She is generously "treated" throughout the day as well for training. Margo
I was feeding Emma 1 cup of food over three feedings, but since I talked about her possibly being hungry, I have gotten several suggestions, one of which was to feed twice a day and up the amount. So, the past couple of days I upped the total to about 1 1/2 cups a day over three feedings and I'm just monitoring how she does. So far, she's eating everything, though the morning feeding she doesn't always eat immediately and as a matter of fact, the other day never went over to the dish until 11:45! So, I decided not to give her the lunchtime feeding but fed her evening meal earlier (4:30) and gave her same total amount (I hope that's not too confusing). Anyway, she also gets treats during the day (mostly Cheerios, which she loves). I weighed her this morning and she's now up to 12.5 pounds! Based on what Lily weighs and that you say she seems hungry, I would probably up her food also. Let me know how it goes.
I'm concerned about food amount too. I definitely don't want an overweight pup. At 16wks Sandy weighed just under 15lbs. His vet considered this just right.
I've been feeding him twice daily since he came home at 8 weeks. He now eats about 1 cup Organix kibble in the morning. In the evening I rotate among 5oz Innova canned puppy food, raw ground chicken, ground turkey or ground beef. I add a large tablespoon of cottage cheese or a sprinkle of shredded cheddar and top with V8 juice. A couple of days a week I give him a large tablespoon of non fat, plain organic yogurt. He's fairly active and has a great appetite so I know I need to watch the amount he gets.

This is the first puppy to whom I've ever fed raw meat. His breeder suggested it and his vet concurs. Are any of you others using this strategy?
We feed Ollie raw meat. He is 12 weeks now and weighs about 5.5kg (not sure what he is in lbs sorry...). Our breeder recommended a BARF diet which is bran and raw foods - she sent me a recipe I can send to you if you want - but we have continued with what she was initially feeding him which is 1/2 cup Eagle Pack dry food, 1/2 cup raw mince (but not lean mince) and a big dollop of plain yoghurt. He gets that twice a day and he seems to be ok on that. Once a week I will put in a can of sardines instead of the mince which is good for their coat. I also add some grated veg or cheese or some gravy for a bit of variety. I sometimes feel that he must get bored with the same meal all of the time. He also gets a raw bone or chicken wing or something every day. Our breeder said to never give him anything cooked.
When we went to puppy pre school the vet nurse suggested we stay on the biscuits and just up the quantity as they get older as she said if you don't do the BARF diet correctly they can miss out on vitamins etc they need which are all in the kibble. I have a book called 'Give a dog a bone' waiting for me to pick up at the bookstore which is about the BARF diet. I like the idea of the V8 juice though!!
Thanks. I'm quite interested in your recipe and the diet. Would you please share it?

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service