DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Well, Max is almost 6 months old.  When he was very young, he got into my houseplants and pulled out dirt.  I put barriers around them and forgot it.  Now for the last few days, he has been eating dirt every chance he gets.  Reasons found on internet:

Poor quality food - he is on orijen kibble supplemented w Chicken, Yogart, cottage cheese and vegies from time to time.

Boredom - not enough human attention - we play fetch at least 3 x a day goes for walks w husband, has lots of toys, bully sticks etc.  Also work on various training things.

Mental deficit - no he seems way too smart

So does anyone have any comments or suggesions?  Does anyone else have a doodle that eats dirt??

Views: 61

Replies to This Discussion

It's hopefully just a phase that will pass. Holly likes to eat everything outdoors from rocks to dirt, it started around that age and has gotten better. We tried to take an obedience class in a big barn with a dirt floor and it was impossible because she was so focused on eating the dirt! Sorry not much help but I know how you feel!
Mochi used to eat dirt whenever he got chances too, he especially likes the muddy ones.
He's also on high quality of food and gets attentions all the time.
I've noticed he ate more dirt when he was hungry and thirsty, or when he was frustrated (like if I told him to go home or do something he didn't want to.)
But that was when he was a puppy.
Now he doesn't eat dirt anymore :)
Maybe it is because he is named Max ;) My Max loves dirt.... or even better mud. I could go through your check list and agree that none of those reasons fit. My Max eats high quality (and expensive) food, gets attention constantly, and of course our Doodles are brilliant. I have several small excavations in my yard. Occasionally Max will come up with a hidden rock or root beneath the soil. I am sorry I have no answers but I do understand your concern. I think the reason may be as simple as they think it is fun!
Toby is almost 2, and although I never see him eat dirt, his water dish shows that he does, in fact, eat dirt. My husband says he does it because he wants to. :)
Casper eats dirt also! He is fed Wellness, gets plenty of attention (I have 3 boys!) and of course is smart to boot : )
I always wondered about it too! One time when he was outside in the fall he found a bloated dead toad...the way he went at that thing my husband knew it was going to be bad...had to pull the thing out of his throat by the foot!!! Dirt & dead toads...don't want to even think about what's next.
EWEEE! Okay Lori... you win! That was gross. Glad your husband was around at the time! One question... Did it taste like chicken? - LOL. HOpe you are enjoying your summer with the boys! OH and Casper the toad eating dog too! :)
Yep, my puppy does this, too. Unfortunately, he also caught giardia from eating dirt. My only solution now is to watch him like a hawk when he's outside. He's just turned eight months old. I thought he had outgrown it, but I caught him red-handed today. Well, red-pawed I guess. And brown-tongued.

If anyone has any ideas about how to discourage this, please share!
Thanks for all the fabulous responses to my concerns - looks like dirt eating might be pretty common. I am hoping that it is a phase which will pass - but now with all your info and sharing on the subject think that dealing with it will be must less stressful.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service