DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Koda is teething like crazy.  Can anyone suggest some healthy and safe chew options?  My daughter asked about chewy sticks, etc.,  Any suggestions are appreciated.  She is looking for a  variety so Koda won't get bored.

Views: 174

Replies to This Discussion

First all chew toys should only be given under supervision.  I have not found a chew toy that cannot be splintered or a small piece torn off, etc.

That said my dogs favorites are Antlerz (real, cleaned antlers), and flavored nylabones. Some dogs are more intense chewers than others so if you have a mild chewer hard rubber scented toys may work.  Some teething dogs like ice to chew on.

Enjoy your puppy

When Riley was teething I would take a washcloth, soak it in water, wring it out a bit then twist it into a knot and freeze it.  Once frozen I let her go to town on it.  Of course now she REALLY likes washcloths so there is a drawback lol.  I think it helped her tooth pain but definitely a "close supervision only" type of thing.

I use to also just give her a bowl of ice cubes and let her chew them - even nicer now that it's summer so you could do it outside and avoid some of the mess it created on my tiled floor :p

I second the suggestion of antlers and Nylabones.  Riley seems to prefer the split kind of antlers although they don't last as long if your dog is an aggressive chewer like she is.  Nylabones are good too, we like the DuraChew type that lasts longer and they can't get big pieces off of.  They come in lots of flavors, shapes and sizes which is a plus.

Himalayan dog chews, split antlers, and water buffalo horns are all natural and last a really long time. Especially the Buffalo horns! I don't give nylabones since they are made out of nylon and not intended to be ingested. They do splinter though and can cause problems when those sharp little shards get into the intestines.

Oh yes, the himalayan chews!  I forgot about those.  Riley loved those when she was younger.  Unfortunately she is strong enough now to just crack them in half in one chomp. Not good.

I've never seen water buffalo horns around here I'll have to keep a lookout.  

You can get them in most specialty pet stores and Petco has them also. You can also get them on Amazon but I prefer to buy them in person because some are a little thinner than others and crack easier. I get the thicker ones and they last months! https://www.amazon.com/QT-Dog-Water-Buffalo-Treat/dp/B01CNONKBQ/ref...

Thanks everyone.  Koda is an intense chewer!  I told my daughter no more stuff toys because they end up in the trash.  What else can be purchased in the toy line as well. Lastly how long does this teething/chewing stage last?  I don't recall my dogs chewing this way then again it's been awhile.

I messaged you.

Riley got her last teeth in around 4 months.  Since Koda is a mini it might be a little later I think.

I forgot another favorite puppy "toy" (one that can be destroyed and you don't worry about it) is large plastic bottles, the tougher the plastic the better.  I've found Clamato/V8 bottles to be the best (of course you have to drink the Clamato first... DH likes it.. gross).  Big pop bottles work too.  Smaller water bottles work okay but with Riley they lasted all of 30 seconds :p

Bark Box offers some very durable rubber and fabric toys to chew.  And the dogs seem to like them...for awhile anyway.  The vet told me to really watch the chewing on harder objects like the femur bones and no tennis balls.  Too much wear on the teeth.  Filling the kong with tasty treats or if you use wet dog food or cooked whatever with cheese...then freezing it.  The washcloth could be soaked with chicken broth and then frozen to entice them more.  Have fun...take lots of pictures!

Picco wasn't ever much of a chewer.  His go to chew toy is a Kong.  A friend gave me a nylabone once after it got smaller he swallowed it right in front of me and freaked me out! It happened that fast- so much for supervision! That is the end of that experiment.  Kong works fine.

I wish!  Riley has never shown any interest in chewing plain Kongs, Luna didn't either.  At least Riley will play with her squeaky one if we play with her - it's a leftover from when we had Luna because Luna never touched it.

Did you try filling the kong & freezing it?  That might help.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service