DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

It's been a bit rough during the day! Lola is 8.5 week, we tether her at night where she can hold it from 10:30-6:30 with no accidents. Day time, we go out at minimum every 2 hrs. The past 3 accidents, she'll go out, poop and or pee. Come back in and 15 min later without sniffing or telltale signs, she'll pee again!! I don't know if I need to leave her in the crate more often or not?? We have her running after potty breaks thinking that she's good to go and will run off energy...but she's just peeing! She spends maybe 2-3 hours in her crate a day. She eats in there while we eat..and this evening she was in for 2 hours. She held it fine. I'm just at a loss!!

Views: 424

Replies to This Discussion

Running stimulates puppy's need to urinate. Make sure she goes pee after exercise too! Then bring her back in. Reward with treats when she goes in her designated spot and lots and lots of praise!!!
Especially she is almost 9 weeks old, should be taken her out every hour. That what I did. Now, Lucy is almost 17 weeks old and now only about 8 times day. It get less and less. And also you should get a potty bell. It really works very well. Good luck.
My puppy Emma came home at 8 weeks. Potty training was difficult, but we made sure she was going out frequently, ( like every hour). At night we walked her every 3 hours ( not fun, but better then cleaning pee). She is getting better, so my advice to you is hang on in there and hopefully, your puppy will get it all soon.

Yeah, I agree, once every 2 hrs. just isn't often enough for an active 8.5 week old puppy. At that age we were taking Oscar out every 45 minutes (max, not including bedtime)! You have to remember, too, that puppies can hold it a lot longer when in their crates (a good rule of thumb is one hour for each month of age during wakeful hours, longer at night), and much, much less when out and active.

I swear Auggie was peeing every 20 minutes when we got him at 8 weeks. There was no way for him to hold it for 2 hours during the day.
Agreed...puppies pee and puppies pee alot! Every 2 hrs is way too long in between...even tho she can hold it at night. Also...if she goes out pees and comes in the house and pees almost immediately....stay out with her longer. Some puppies do not empty their bladders all at once. Our girl Enzo was a double pee'er. Almost always went twice in one outing. Crating her for longer periods of time will not housebreaking her.

I agree with this.  Take her out on a leash and stay with her and give her time to go more than once.  No playing when you go out to potty, just potty.  I also agree more often than 2 hours as well.  Additionally, if she is playing in the house, stop the play and take her out.  

Lucy was like that too.  I was so shocked when we would take her out and then bring her back in and expect that we would have an hour or so of "safe time" and then she'd just pee.  No warning at all!  She has grown out of that.  She still needs to go out more often then I thought here at almost 16 weeks.  And she still has accidents.  

Anyway, just wanted to chime in and say I think it's normal!  Hang in there... 

Boomer was about 8 weeks when we brought him back. He peed and pooped a LOT.

We basically took him out every hour and kept a log. Boomer's first week averaged 12 pees, 2-4 poops each day. By the next week, he was down to 10 pees average, 2-3 poops. Basically we took him out a TON in order to

A) See how his bowel patterns worked

B) Send a clear message that he should only go potty outside (lots and lots of praise!!)

Over the next two weeks we slowly grew to figure out his potty habits, and would crate him 30 minutes before his next potty break, lengthening the time by a few minutes (he wouldn't go in his crate) and then carrying him out when it was time to prevent an accident on the way.

He's now 14 weeks old and we let him roam the house pretty freely, hasn't had an accident and knows he should hold it in. Though he has had an accident when playing with us, peed all over the floor without warning. Our fault because we'd gotten him super excited for a long time.

You don't need to take your puppy out for a walk every single time you go out to potty. Boomer gets a longer walk in the morning, twice in the afternoon and at night. The rest of the times we go out for him to potty and then straight back in. The times we do go out to play for a longer period of time, we take him inside, then immediately back outside to his potty spot to see if he wants to go potty. He usually does, and then he'll be good until the next scheduled potty break.

Hang in there!

I would let her stay out longer - she is probably not done when you bring her in.  Remember exercise, eating, waking up from a nap all stimulate them to pee.

Agree with the every hour during the day until about 10 weeks.  We called Zoe the stealth pee-er at that age - no tell-tale signs just bend down and boom before we could correct.  We would scoop her up and bring her outside when she was mid squat, or even at the end (but *right* at the end - once she walked away, too late) and do a positive - go potty/good girl- never ever negative.  She caught on quickly.  Lola will too - promise!

You may want to take her to the vet and have them check for a bladder infection. Jace had one when we brought him home at 20 weeks.  All he did was pee!  Outside, inside, on our foot, his bed, etc.  After 4 times to the vet in 3 months we discovered it was his food!  We were feeding him blue diamond or blue...i forgot which one. It caused his PH to raise which caused a bladder infection.  

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service