DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hello all. I've heard good things about umbilical cord / tether training, but I don't really understand a few aspects of the logistics: when do you know you can stop? Is it ok for the tether to be attached to puppy's collar or should I get a harness? How long should the leash be? Would a retractable leash be ok? Are there any adverse effects from tethering? Any tips?

Thanks all!

Views: 413

Replies to This Discussion

I tehtered my puppy to me for 10 days. He was about 10 weeks old, I think. I did it under the supervision of a trainer. Where I went to the trainer for a puppy beginner private class, he instructed me on tethering, the correct corrections and had me come back 10 days later for the next step. I had a regular 6 foot leash and just a regular buckle collar. I don't think a harness would be helpful since you need to pop the leash a lot when the puppy is doing something you don't want him to do, and you need the puppy to feel it. A retractable leash is not going to help because tethering is meant to teach the puppy to be near you and a retractable leash would let the puppy wonder to far away and you won't be able to pop the leash. I must have popped that leash 10,000 times in 10 days.

Tethering works, but you will be extremely annoyed trying to get stuff done around the house if you don't put the puppy back in his crate so he/she can sleep every once in awhile. I personally could not wait for day 10, but would do it again if I had another puppy.

Hope this helped.
My puppy wore a very light leash for the first month I had him. For the first two weeks, we were tethered nearly all the time, except when he was playing with someone else (like one of my grown kids or my husband) on the floor, or, when he was in his crate. 100% of potty training outside occurred on a leash up until just two weeks ago ( he is now five months and we still go out together, but off leash). The puppy is learning many things through this process. 1. i am the boss and you go where I go 2. All privileges are given (and taken away) by me. 3. your "job" is to stay by me and go where I go, we belong "together" 4. you need to learn to be patient 5. good behavior is frequently rewarded 5. I am a rock star because I will guide you through things that scare you and help you to be brave 6. When I tell you to go potty or go poopy, I mean now, not after you have goofed off for twenty minutes 7. prerequisite for a good "heel" and nice behavior on daily walks

During this process I always carried a treat bag (and in my case, a clicker). Training was constant in between frequent naps and in very short bursts. I NEVER leash pop a puppy even on a buckle collar. Iin my opinion, it is not needed as they are very eager to please and very attentive - although with small attention spans. They are sponges and will start to understand your body language immediately.

I still tether my dog when we are out in strange situations - I can supervise him, and it gives him comfort. I now allow others he "knows " to hold the tether, like my five year old grandkids - and he responds beautifully. They also carry treat pouches which elevates them in the pecking order as far as he is concerned. I did this all day long Easter Sunday so he could go with us to my daughters house - but be fully supervised around new sights, sounds, smells, people, and experiences. Sometimes he just dragged the leash around and wasnt tethered (when we were out showing off our training or playing ball) , but it was "on" at all times so I could grab it.

He graduated indoors from being tethered, to being supervised behind doggie gates in the confined area of my kitchen/family room. Sorry this is so long - hope this helps and congrats on your new baby!
P.S. Suggest you purchase and read Patricia Mc Connells book, The Other End of the Leash. It is awesome, instructive, and entertaining.
The dog trainers at my puppy class suggested this because we are having a difficult time house training. I started this probably later than I should have, but Angel was a little over 3 months old. We kept her attached to me when she was in the house for over 2 weeks. Then we gave her some freedom. If she had an accident, she went back on the tether. I use a fanny pack with treats and a clicker and I loop the leash through the fanny pack strap.

She is now 5 months and house training is a bit better. She has more freedom, but I let her drag a leash around the house. If I need to get her off the counter or sofa the leash helps. I have been using a short cheap dollar store leash and regular collar, because I know she will grow out of it so quickly. It works great. If the leash is too long she will get wrapped around kitchen chairs and our computer chair.

This has been a great method for us with house training, but I can only do it in short doses or I don't get anything done. Good luck!!
I have always tied my puppies to me, since I got my first one thirty years ago. I did it because it seemed practical and easy. I have not found it inconvenient ever. This is the first time I have ever heard it call umbilical training! Learn something every day!. My last three puppies I have left the leash on for at least the first year. I use just 10- 15 feet of very lightweight nylon cord and snaps from the hardware store. They are inexpensive, light and washable. I can't imagine trying to train a puppy who did not stay tied to me for awhile. Of course you have to crate them sometimes and they need the sleep, too.
I am wondering about doing this with Mandy. I think I have given her too much freedom inside. The first few days she stayed so close to me that it wasn't a problem (she has been here almost 3 weeks and will be 11 weeks old). She still plays next to me in the house and sleeps next to me when she takes a short nap in the evening. I am crate training her as well. I have had to realize that her size does not mean she is "grown up". I have a min schnauzer who was so tiny at this age. But Mandy is starting to have accidents in the house more in the later evenings, when I am tired. And she is soooo quiet when she walks that I don't hear her when she moves from my side.
My question is: Outside should she be off the tether to run and play?
All dogs need time off leash to run and play. Too much tethering (just my opinion) and you start to rely too much on the leash. They need a chance to romp, be free from danger, and just be a kid. If you can do this in a safe area, yard or whatever, perfect. I used to run around and puppies naturally chase, which they love. Then, you can start to get a solid recall or "come" command by playing off leash. When your puppy wanders off a bit, say "Mandy come" and when she comes - immediately reward with a favorite treat. After several weeks letting her get more distracted and calling her to you, she will have an amazing recall, which you will need. Buddy grabbed a toad in the yard yesterday and when I yelled come, he immediately dropped the toad and came a runnin. If you can safely give Mandy play time with another dog or dogs, that is also perfect. Dogs play differently with each other than they do with us, and they need the dog to dog socialization and playtime. Have fun!
Just my two cents worth again. The whole idea of umbilical or tether training is that the puppy does not know or care that he is on a line. Again it is just me, but I always leave the line on - inside or out - IF I or someone else I trust is closely supervising. The collar and line come off in the crate for safety. The only exception is if you are in a close safe area and there is one or more other dogs, you might take the line off if you want. With another dog present sometimes the line is a big nuisance. I never leave my puppies up to six or eight months alone unless they are crated, or alone with another dog until about six months with another (well known, probably yours) dog. Keeping the line on assures you that your puppy will ALWAYS "come". If I cannot ensure that the puppy will come or I want a more casual recall I use "let's go" and "home" for going in the house and "Grandma's for going back to Grandma's house. You get the idea. Come is for right now, no messing around.
We started tethering our puppy rather late. She was 5 months when we did but uit is still helping us with the training. Although we almost have the potty training down before we started, the tethering helps us to have her keep the focus on us and not on everything else. Thanks for the info guys.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service