DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Teddy has vomited the past two nights. Yesterday I didn't realize it because I thought he spilled his water and got some fur int it. But today I noticed a yellow puddle in his pen, with white in it, which was thicker. I smelled it, and it did not smell like urine. He ate his last meal yesterday at around 5pm. He went to bed at 11pm and right before bed I gave him a fresh bowl of water and he drank about half of it. Yesterday Teddy did not have any treats before bed. He did chew on his antler quite a bit before bed, but he makes only a small dent in it each day.

Teddy is 9 months old. He is eating, drinking and pooing normally, and he has plenty of energy, so I'm not too worried. But I just wonder if he is getting too hungry at night and vomiting? Should I increase his food or give him a snack before bed? 

I appreciate any advice!

Views: 166

Replies to This Discussion

I don't really have any advice but my vet always worries about vomiting over diarrhea. Maybe calling up the vet wouldn'thurt since that is odd and he's showing no other symptoms. I hope everything turns out okay with Teddy though!

It is hard to know sometimes what is going on if you are away while it happens.  Maybe your little guy just choked on something and threw up trying to get it out of his throat- could that be?  I have an 8 month old and on occasion he has gagged which in turn made him throw up.  If I were you, I would not worry too much as long as Teddy is eating the amount your dog food recommends on the bag for his size and age and has fresh water available to him at all times, and his activity level is good.  If he starts acting different than usual or continues to vomit, call your vet. 

Your little guy is very cute.

Good Luck,

Linda

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to weigh him today and see if he reached 50 lbs, in which case he is ready for more food according to the package. I will see if it continues tonight.
Sometimes if it's yellow bile and just happens in the morning he could be hungry. I know there was a discussion on this a few months ago in the FG. Our Golden Retriever, Ben, does that if he doesn't get fed by 8am-ish. the suggestion was to give him something small before bed to help tide him over.
Thank you! I remember reading this discussion but I couldn't find it by searching. I will check the food group. I think yellow bile sounds like what it is. Teddy usually eats around 7:30, but this happened before 5:15 am when I came into the kitchen and saw it. I'll try giving him a snack tonight before bed.
I'm probably repeating, but I think it sounds like bile. Our dogs sometimes throw up bile with white foamy stuff if they have been eating plants outside or something else yucky. (Our worst offender now has to always go out on a leash with us.) Are you leaving his antler in his crate with him? If so, I'd remove it after his chew session. Someone suggested a little snack. Do you have a Kong you can fill? Maybe when you put him to bed, you can give him a partially filled Kong as a midnight snack to tide him over until breakfast. Also, check his bedding in his crate or other toys to make sure he hasn't been "snacking" on something he shouldn't in the wee hours.

Thanks! I found the link in the food group to the discussion about yellow bile: Link 

Teddy sleeps in a pen and the only things in there with him are his stainless steel water bowl, nylabone and antler. I will stop leaving the antler in there and giving him a kong before bed sounds like a good snack. I used to always give him a few treats before bed but have stopped that recently so maybe that is why his stomach is getting upset. I feel much better now after reading that this is a common thing to happen.

You're welcome. A similar incident happened with Barley when I left a bully stick in his crate over night.
I think a snack before bed will help - used to help casper when the same thing happened to him. Maybe like a good dog biscuit or something : )

One of our girls has a very sensitive stomach and can't have ANY people food----or even DIFFERENT dog food or treats. If she does she will vomit.

The other one eats like a goat with no stomach distress. HOWEVER.................if she has a completely empty stomach she will vomit just as you described.With her it is usually in the morning if she ate early the night before or we're late with breakfast. (our girls usually eeat twice)

Maybe the growing boy needs a little extra between meals.

Give him a snack, or milkbone at bedtime.  My Lab was like this, and the vet explained to me that when the dog eats dinner early, then lies in a somewhat confined space (crate) all night they might throw up a little when they wake up. something about the stomach acids.  Any way, giving a milkbone or small snack at bedtime worked.  Try it.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service