DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

We have had Stuart now for two days. He was bailed out from a terrible shelter from a rescue group and they had him for a week.  He was tick infested and starving. He has gained some weight but is still only 50lbs and should weigh at least 80 (he is a big boy) when he was with the rescue he was with three other male doodles- no problems they ate together with no issues.  When he came to my house he wouldn't eat his food but went over to my other dogs bowl and ate so my other dog went over to his bowl to finish his food and Stuart attacked him (quite seriously)...  Now we are feeding them separate and now my dog doesn't trust him and there is definitely tension. Stuart now tries to play with my other dog but my other dog doesn't trust him and won't play.  I do have a trainer coming in a couple of days and am enrolled in obedience class (guess I will have to take my other dog back to obedience now too).  Stuart is sweet sweet with people but, this tension between the two dogs is upsetting.  They did meet before we adopted them and they played everything seeme fine.  This wasn't exactly they happy go lucky doodle week I thought it was going to be.  We are committed however, and will work through this I was just hoping I would have funny doodle stories to tell the first week...  I might add our first dog has never ever had a problem with any dog.  We have always raved how gentle he is but, he sure will not back down to Stuart...

Views: 353

Replies to This Discussion

I am so sorry you had to put your oldest dog down today.

yes it is was very sad

I posted on your wall.  I really think it will just take some time.  Hang in there.

"Shoshone and Stuart did some serious playing today. Jumping in the air chasing and pawing each other. Yeah a big step forward!"

This is so nice to hear. I am very sorry about your older dog. Hang in there!!

Thanks. Yes we miss Annabelle very much.

Good news! There will alwways be the occasional squabble, just like human siblings, but in time, I'm sure they will best friends.

Thanks.  I don't mind a squabble but the issue listed above was a serious attack.  I had a trainer come by today and we are working with methods to alleviate the food aggression.  They can have treats together it seems to be the "dinner/breakfast" bowl...

He is still settling in and it may take time until he realizes that he will get fed no matter what. I am so sorry your other dog was attacked, but your new dog was dealing with being afraid, unsure, and doesn't know the rules just yet. It is possible as he gets more comfortable with all of you, he won't feel the need to guard his food anymore.  I am glad you got a trainer and hopefully the trainer can give you lots of tips to make the transition easier. Good luck!

yes lets keep our fingers crossed they will be able to eat together - we go on occasional road trips and it would be very difficult trying to always feed them separate.  I am already seeing progress with the two of them so hopefully this food issue will eventually become a thing in the past.

Thanks for the support.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service