DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

There are so many situations that lead to giving up a pet. Some are understandable somewhat, some just don't make any sense at all. Since most of us here have a dog someone else gave up, we are getting the love and devotion they are missing. I'm sure your dog in some way says to you, " Thanks for giving me a second chance!"

Views: 459

Replies to This Discussion

Sophie was given up to the Humane Society because her owner could not care for her anymore. The owner was very busy caring for her husband who was dying from cancer. She is an elderly woman (about 80 I am sure) I guess she did not have time to accomidate Sophie's energy. She surrendered her to the humane society where the rescue group Second Chance found her. The humane society said she was unadoptable because she "did not preesnt herself well." She was scared and hid in the back of the kennels. The figured she would not get adopted unless it was through a rescue. I was her foster mom.
Recently I was put in touch with Sophie's old owner. She asked me if I wanted Sophie's large wire crate, I picked it up and talked with her for awhile. She had surrendered Sophie in September, her husband died in January, and she adopted two lap dogs shortly after her husband died. She was happy to hear about Sophie's new life, and she sent me pictures of Sophie as a puppy. I was scared to meet with her at first, but I am happy that I did to learn more about Sophie.
I am thinking it was a combination of the expensive eye surgery for a near blind dog, her size, and her situation at the time that made her give Sophie up. She told me that if she had never taken Sophie to the Humane Society she would probably still have her. I am glad her circumstances made her give up the dog, and I'm glad Sophie is MINE!! I love her so much, and she is only two- and she will have a long happy life with my husband and I.

Marlow was an impulse purchase from the pet shop in the mall for the grandkids. Then the grandkids didn't have time for him and the owner didn't either. He spent most of his time tied to the tree or in his crate. How he became the wonderful dog he is, I don't know. They must have given him lots of attention when a puppy. He acts like a big spoiled puppy now! I guess he got too big and full of energy for the owner. I am just glad I was so lucky to find him on PetFinder!
Congratulations on finding your special guy! I know you have been looking for a while, your patience definately paid off. He looks just wonderful! Lots of doodle kisses for you both!
He's really beautiful Susan!
Thalie was rescue from a puppy mills around Syracuse in NY state. The rescue lady were I got her told me that it was a "good type" of puppy mills! That mean that the owner use to let the dogs exercise outside for a certain time most every day and that she never live in a wire cage... They rescue her when she was about 7 1/2 months old. I got her just before her 8 months birthday!

She is the sweetest little girl Labradoodle I never met.
She is still a bit skinny but our vet think she is doing very well. No health problem and very little behavior issues like not knowing how to play with us or our Golden with toys and not to know how to give kisses... yet!

She did adjust so well that sometime I even doubt she is a rescue! She follow Gamine every were. Gamine got her house training in less than a day!

She is good girl and already know her sit, stay wait down and of course the real meaning of the "good girl"

We cannot think not having her in our life now. She is really part of our family and she know that she find her forever home here.
We are so lucky to have two beautiful, intelligent and so sweet girls with us.

Another great photo of your two girls! I love this one, too!
Jeannine, I'm so happy that you have found your doodle! It really sounds like she is a perfect fit for your family.

I know how he "became the wonderful dog he is now", it just seems to be in their doodle nature! They are the sweetest!

Miko came from a raid of a broker for an Amish puppy mill in Ohio. The rescuers offered the man $200 for the mom, Miko and her 3 brothers.

Rumor originally came from Petland (puppymill) and was, According to the letter the shelter showed me from the original family, too high strung and too hard to groom. Of course it took them 2 years to realize this, and they kept him in a crate most of the time. When I got him, I could never crate him because he would potty in the crate and lay in it because he knew no better. Rumor is the sweetest dog ever! He can tear around the back yard leaping like a crazy man.....but take him in public, and he is a perfect gentleman. Poor boy only ever wanted love!
What handsome doods! You have quite a collection, a very cute family.
I rescued nicky at 8 months old in beverly hills. I don't know why he was there. maybe he got lost. but we have been together ever since and very happy.
Many of you know Mariner's story but I will repeat it - mainly because I want people to know that there are disabled animals that need rescue and they are wonderful pets. Marineer is not your typical rescue.

Mariner is the biological brother of our oldest GD - Boomer. We became aware that the breeders (small hobby breeders) had a litter and one of the dogs had an accident when he was about 7 - 8 weeks old. He fractured his skull. They provided very good veterinary care for him but the accident left him blind and with a seizure disorder. He also had to re-learn almost all functions including potty functions. He was partially paralyzed for a few days. If you can imagine head trauma to a person and the recovery from that - it is the same for a dog.

The breeders (Bill & Betty) worked with Mariner and he was doing well, except, he was blind and on seizure medication. They felt that they were not able to keep Mariner on a long term basis, so either he was going to be put to sleep or someone was going to have to adopt him. Well I heard of his plight and told my daughter (then 12). We convinced my wife that we HAD to have Mariner.

Sharon (DW) and Samntha (DD) drove from NJ to NC to bring him home.

Over the last year and a half he has regained much of his eyesight - today it is hard to tell that he has visual problems although if you observe him carefully you can see some of the little signs. His major issue is the seizure disorder. This is being dealt with by medication.

Unfortunately many dogs that have disabilities are put to sleep. There are also organizations that provide forever homes for disabled animals.
Since posting this we have switched Mariner's seizure medications and he has been doing great.  His eyesight has continued to improve.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service