DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I'm having a heck of a time feeling confident on what to do.  I'm going to call Rosco's vet in a bit and tell her my concerns, but wanted to get some thoughts from those of you who've been here.  

Rosco is 12 years old,but closer to 13.  He's had seizures since age 5 (I believe), but was never medicated because they were not too frequent and manageable.  Occasionally he'd have a week with more than one, but then nothing for a while.

In mid-Oct he had surgery for some lipomas and that surgery was pretty hard on him.  Prior to the surgery he hadn't had a seizure in a very long time (I'd forgotten how long).  But after that surgery his seizures came back with a vengeance, different and harsher.  After a few of those we decided to start meds.

We started him on K-Br about 8-9 days ago.  Not a seizure since starting, which is GREAT.  But I'm not sure his quality of life is better.  I know some of the side effects include ataxia and he's certainly wobbly.  He was already quite weak in his back legs, but now he's lost weight and falls frequently.  He had lost his appetite initially but we think it was the effect of the seizures hurting his mouth/jaw/teeth so that it was hard to chew.  He can chew kibble again but now he can't stand long enough to eat a full meal or drink adequately.  He has to keep walking or he'll fall.  He doesn't try to lay down to eat.  

And the past few days he's been so sedated when he's not pacing that he ends up peeing in the house because we can't wake him up to go.  Last night after Clark found a puddle next to him and he took him outside, Rosco tried to poop but couldn't...he kept falling backwards.  

Not to mention that he wants nothing to do with chewing the chewable meds so Clark or I have to use a pill plunger but you have to work hard to open his mouth in the first place.

Suffice to say that between the ataxia, weakness, falling, and inadequate ability to eat, his quality of life is kinda crummy lately.   So I'm thinking of three possible scenarios:

1) Lower the dose of his meds. Perhaps the seizures were surgery induced and he'll be well managed on a low dose.  Of course I need to discuss with vet.

2) Wean off meds entirely so he can move and eat and see what happens.

3) Stay on meds because just around the corner things will turn and the side effects will subside as I've heard they do.  But he is old and his mobility is compromised anyway.

But any of the above don't take away the fact that he's probably near the end.  And I know nobody can know anything with certainty, but I just thought I'd get my thoughts out here and hear from anyone who has experienced this before.  

Views: 151

Replies to This Discussion

I'm so sorry you and Rosco are having to deal with all this. I certainly had a lot of health issues with JD during the last part of his life, but they were different issues and didn't (I believe) affect his quality of life as much as what Rosco is experiencing at the moment. 

That said, we did go through a rocky period just after his 12th birthday when he was having serious issues with balance and mobility, and also could not stand in one place for very long. Pooping was very difficult for him. Our solutions to those things would not apply to your situation (different meds, different health issues, different dog) but I can tell you that he did get better. My thought & hope is that Rosco will too.
I wish I could be of more help. I do think you should talk to the vet about all of it. And know that I'm thinking of you both. 

Thank you Karen.  I have a call out to the vet and awaiting a response so I can discuss.  My hunch is she won't have any concrete answers either.

I'd have the same questions that you do so I can't help with any answers.   But are you near a veterinary school?  I'm wondering if maybe they have more options for you.

No vet school nearby, I just want him comfortable and able to do basic things like eat, pee and poop outside without falling.  

Sorry to hear that Rosco is having such a hard time. Ask your vet about Zonisamide, it worked for Quincy for a few years. It's a human drug but they are having good success using it with dogs. It has none of the neurological side effects that the other anti seizure meds have.  Reducing the dose of K-BR may also reduce the side effects. If it were me, I would get drug levels done and  reduce the dosage a little each day and see how it goes from there. 

I have no concrete help to give you, but want you, Clark, and Rosco to know that we all care very much and send our love. 

The vet said it's ok to lower meds.  Her first choice was to continue till it's built up enough in his system and he likely will adjust to it.  But she doesn't have to watch him struggle.  So we've lowered the dose and hoping that is enough to prevent seizures and regain qlty of life . 

Adina, there is a wonderful resource for owners of dogs with epilepsy and seizure disorders. (Besides our group here on DK, lol). Here's the link:
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/

Adina - sorry Rosco is having these problems. My thoughts are that lowering the dosage is a good idea. As vets usually start on the high end of he dosage recommendations and then lower until they are just at the point of preventing seizures. This is great on a young dog but older dogs are more sensitive to the medication and there is less time to regulate the meds.  When Mariner was young it took over 6 months to get the right dosage.  My thoughts are with you 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service