DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give you all a heads up regarding a food inconsistency problem I encountered recently with the latest large bag of Acana Duck and Bartlett Pear I received from Chewy.com. It had pieces interspersed throughout the bag coated with a white powdery looking substance, which may or may not have have been mold (it didn't smell bad, but I wasn't about to taste it). I had only stored the food for 2 weeks before opening it and making the discovery.  Chewy resolved the problem quickly, giving me a full refund (they offered to send a new bag, but since I was changing Oscar's food to a weight management one which had just shipped, I opted for the refund). They told me they would inform their Supply department of the problem. I've also contacted Acana, but so far haven't heard back from them.

The percentage of affected kibble was small, and would have been easy to miss right away. Sifting through your new dog food is probably a good practice in order to identify any problems in consistency early.

Here's a picture of the affected kibble (which I sent to Chewy).

Views: 1133

Replies to This Discussion

I always check the kibble. Once I found several pieces of another food in my dogs regular food. Chewy replaced the bag, they have great customer service. That does resemble mold, thanks for sharing!

I transfer all of JD's kibble cup by cup into big zip-loc freezer bags, which then go into an air-tight storage container. This was advised by his dermatologist because he's allergic to storage mites, but it sounds like it would be a good idea for everyone.

Please let us know if you hear back from Champion, and I will be very surprised if you don't; their customer service is usually top-notch.

I don't use this food, but now I'm freaking out about storage mites!!

Storage mites can exist in any dry, cereal- type food that has particulate matter. Boxes of crackers, cookies, and cereals, that kind of thing. It's now thought that storage mites may be as much to blame as dust mites for asthma symptoms in humans.

Here's a discussion I posted about storage mites several years ago after JD tested positive for storage mite allergies:Storage Mites: A Mite-y Allergen In Your Home.

Storage mites are an issue with any food, not just Acana :)
Holy crap. That's the food I just switched Spike to. I'm now going to go and check what I have left. This is very strange. Can you please let us know what you hear from Champion? I'm very curious. And a bit nervous. This isn't like them.
Yes, Tracey, I'll let you know if I hear from them. I contacted them Monday via thier website, and called and left a msg. yesterday. I haven't heard a word back from them yet. Oscar has been on Acana singles for about 2-1/2 yrs with no inconsistencies in kibble color or quality. This was such a strange and unexpected surprise.

I am really surprised you haven't heard back, they are usually very prompt to respond.

We use the same food also but I buy it at our local Pet store. It immediately gets put in an airtight container. So far so good.

Debb, do you have the lot numbers and "best buy" date from the bag?

I do:
BB 15 July 2016
LOT 1005596T1
There's also a line of numbers below the Lot number: 160415 2317

Thanks. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service