DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I know this is a discussion that is had over and over again - sorry about that. But, as we begin tick season (and the midwest didn't have much of a winter so I fear that it's going to be a hard summer with fleas and ticks.) I was hoping that we could have it again!! 

Katie is on Sentinel for heartworms and fleas. So I'm not so worried about the flea part. But we hike through the woods fairly regularly. I'm not sure if all that hair makes it better or worse. The ticks will presumably have a harder time getting to her skin, but I will also have a harder time finding them on her. 

I know we can't come to a 100% consensus, but there are just too many options out there. I still have a dose of parastar (fipronil) from last year. It was fine. She didn't have any problems with it, I never found any fleas or ticks. I'm not super crazy about the greasy coat thing after I put it on her. I'm really intrigued by the seresto collar. I read a discussion from several years ago that they warned against using it on dogs that sleep in their humans beds, but I didn't see that warning on the outside packaging of the product. I imagine that it's similarly toxic as sleeping in bed with a dog who has parastar on. 

I've also used frontline with good results,  but on dogs that didn't go outside a lot. I never knew if it worked because it worked or because we never came into contact with fleas and ticks anyway. I used parastar last year because that is what my vet was selling.

I am more afraid of tick-borne illness than the toxicity of the treatment. But I still want to do my due dilligence and try to find the safest and most effective (and let's be honest, I would also like to get the most bang for my buck!) So can we talk about what everyone is doing for ticks (and fleas, I suppose!) this year and how or why you made your decision?

Thanks! Stacy (and Katie too!)

Views: 881

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We use generic frontline plus, same chemicals, for considerably less. But had used name brand for years.

I know it works because we have a cabin in the woods in Northern Arizona and deer and elk and all kinds of wildlife come through our yard all year round. After taking my daughter's untreated  dogs up or a weekend they were just covered in ticks, and my two have not had one tick on them in 2 years and they live there all summer with us.  So that is my testament to Frontline Plus.

We have had friends who have visited with their dogs and one used the collar that weekend and never saw a tick on their dog as well, so with this one incident the collar was as effective. 

Our vet has Sawyer on Brevecto. It's chewable and only given once every three months. We don't have fleas where we live, but we do have ticks. Thankfully, we do not have Lyme disease here. But ticks just freak me out. I like the convenience of only every three months!

Once every 3 months sounds so nice. And chewables are great. I just can't really afford either. Comparing Brevecto at about $85.00 every 3 months (for 2 dogs) to $26.00 every 3 months for Frontline, it's quite a difference.  I am pretty stuck with Frontline and hope it continues to work for my guys, but good for you to be able to have something so convenient. I would love it.

We are just switching to Bravecto for my dogs due to an incident with a topical a few weeks ago.
How long has Sawyer been using it?
How do you not have fleas? I thought fleas lived every where?

I know I am chiming into the discussion a bit late... but I am curious how the Bravecto is working for you.   I am considering changing Shelby to Bravecto and Sentinel.  She is currently on Trifexis - and has had no issues... but we had our first tick incident this year and I don't want another. 

I think the concern that I have, and many people have I assume, is that we are picking the toxic chemical (because they are all poisons when it comes down to it) that does the least damage and is effective. I had good luck with Bravecto and Sentinel this year. I found a couple dead ticks but nothing that was attached to the dogs and nothing that was alive. I didn't notice any side effects from the medication either. You can find horror stories online - but for myself I will be comfortable using Bravecto again next summer. It's finally frozen here and we are off of it for the winter, but I will be using it again once spring hits. I hope I'm doing the right thing. I don't think there is any way to be 100% certain. But if we are going to go play in the woods I think it's our best option.

We used to use a combination of Heartguard and K9Advantix (which we found worked much better than Frontline), but a couple of years ago switched to Sentinel and NexGard. We spend most of the year between Cape Cod and a Boston suburb, and the winters in Florida. Since Lyme Disease is prevalent in both Massachusetts and Florida, we also have both dog vaccinated for Lyme Disease. 

I really wanted to do Sentinel and Nexgard, but my vet won't use the 2 together. He felt she would be getting too much of the flea med. I may bring it up again at our next appt the end of the month.

Bravecto is supposed to work on fleas and ticks. It is a chewable.
But, so is Nexguard? Hmmm. Why would you need to use two products if they are for the same thing?
Never mind, I realize that sentinel is for heartworms/flea prevention. Sorry I confused myself reading through this discussion.

Thank you all for your interesting and thoughtful replies! You've given me a lot to think about. And I can't tell you how refreshing it is to find a group who can all agree that there may be more than one right way to do things. 

For this summer (or as long as it works for us) I have decided to go with the Seresto Collar. And the reason is: because if there is a problem with it, I can take it off. I know the medication is systemic, the same way the topicals are. But at least if there is an issue I can remove the source and then Katie won't be getting more of the medication. I think that's my fear with the oral meds. If it's a 3 month med and for some reason the dog has a reaction it's not like I can undo it. Although the ease and convenience is really tempting. I'm just such a worrier. It's probably pathological, but that's a conversation for another day!

Anyway, if anyone else is thinking of the Seresto collar I priced it at Petsmart, Amazon, and Chewy.com. Petsmart has it on sale, but it's still the most expensive option. Amazon has it cheaper, but it concerned me that in the photos of the product were all in spanish. Is the spanish version different?? And chewy.com had far and away the cheapest price - on sale for 44.99! With an added $4.00 in dog treats I got free shipping too! I know that since Katie likes to swim in the lake and jump in mud puddles (lots of baths!) We won't get 8 months of protection out of the collar. But if we get 4 months - I figure 2 collars per tick season. I think the price point is reasonable. 

I have small grandkids that play with her all the time, so a collar is out of the question for me. I don't have a clue about the Spanish, maybe it's a knockoff or something. I like Chewy. I had a huge order from there when I first got Annabelle. There are 3 stores near me that carry Orijen, or I would be ordering her food from there.

I love Chewy and the free shipping is a big plus. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service