DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Toby has a skin infection on his leg, for which he has to take an antibiotic and Benadryl.  The first time I wrapped them in a bit of cheese slice....no problem.  The next time he ate the cheese and spit out the pill.  Next I crushed them and put them in a little beef gravy.  That worked twice, now he is turning his nose up at it.  I spread the gravy/pill mixture on a little actual beef, and when he went to bite it I scraped the gravy mixture off  the beef against the back of his teeth so he'd actually consume it.  Then I let him have the beef too.  But....there's got to be a better way.  He just watches me get it ready and looks like he's thinking "Whatever.  I'm not eating that."  Too bad doodles are so smart. 

Views: 74

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We use whipped cream cheese for pills. Callie will stand there and actually drool on the floor, waiting for her "treat".
Oh no!!
Maybe Sasha is unusual...but...our problem would be...how do you get her to NOT eat a pill...or anything for that matter??!! (smile)
At first I wrapped pills in cheese...but now I know that I only need to call her...and...she just gobbles the pill up!!

There are pros and cons to everything Sandy...lol...

I hope all of the "great" suggestions that were posted help you with Toby...and that he's feeling better...very soon!!
Sounds like our Mitzi. She also loves to unstuff all the dolls she finds that belong to our grandchildren. Our biggest concern is that she wants to "Unstuff" our daughter's new kitten!
Put peanut butter on the pill. Our doodles go nuts for it and don't care there's a pill inside :)
I also use peanut butter. I just embed Riley's (fairly large) heartworm pill in a small dollop of peanut butter (enough to coat the entire pill with peanut butter), and with one lick, it's down the hatch! Works every time. Good luck!
I have had to give Maizey a pill two times a day for the last week and have put it inside a piece of boiled chicken with a dollop of Second Step Gerber baby food (chicken, turkey, beef or ham). The stuff smells NASTY but she loves it!! The vet recommended this stuff to mask the bitterness of the pills... and she thinks its the best treat! Just make sure to buy the correct baby food (without garlic or onion powder!!)
Shelby is pretty smart and can figure out when I am hiding medicine in cheese, bread, etc. I have found that she absolutely LOVES the Greenie Pill Pockets! They are expensive, but she loves them and takes her medicine like a pro every single time! For me, it's worth the extra expense... let stressful for us both!!!
Same with my guys....it's the only thing that works.
Giving not one sliver piece of hot dog, but several is the tricky part of fooling your doodle. Fill in only one (2nd or 3rd piece) and feed while you hold up his/her head and massage their throat. Sometime just throwing in pieces of cheese with them makes it seem tomfoolery and you won't find where he had time to taste and spit the out.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service