DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Well, the Devers clan is adding another pack member but this ones a little human baby instead of a furry one! We're having a baby!!!!!! YAY! :) we're excited but I want to start working on things with jace and Maggie ASAP. I want them as close to perfect as we can get by the time the baby comes. Any suggestions would be amazing! Here's some problems they have and any recommended solutions would be awesome. We have them enrolled in an AKC obedience class starting march 12, Maggie (6 mos) chews things she's not supposed to, counter surfs(working on that), and barks in her crate when were not in the room. Jace really has no problems. He listens great, he stopped jumping and knows all his commands. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!:)

Views: 374

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congratulations.

Congratulations on the new baby girl!  I used the bitter lemon (I think it was) spray for cords and things when Trav was a pup.  That's about the only suggestion I have--fun times ahead for you!

Congratulations.  Exciting days ahead for you and your clan.

Congrats on the new baby! I'm sure the obedience classes will help and they will probably give you suggestions. 

Congratulations! 

Congratulations!!!

Aw what a happy time! Congrats!

Congratulations!

I'm typing this with a 6 month old baby in my lap ;)

We brought a blanket to the hospital that my husband took home after the baby's scent was on it.  That way when Luna was introduced to the baby the scent was already familiar to her.

We also got all the bigger baby toys (swing, bouncer etc.) unpacked and set up well beforehand so Luna could explore them and see them as a normal part of the house.

Good luck!

That is wonderful news Emily...the best kind...so very happy for you...Congratulations...I think you are so wise for being proactive in getting the dogs ready for the baby.  I have heard that it is helpful to carry around a doll and get the dogs used to seeing you give your attention to someone other than themselves.  Also once the baby is born, have your husband take home a blanket that the baby had been wrapped in to get the dogs use to the baby's scent.  

Congratulations.  I have a 17 month old human child, but when she was born, the Chihuahua was almost 9 and the doodle was 3.5.  We had done extensive training with the doodle (she has her canine good citizenship plaque to prove it), but let me tell you, it requires constant supervision when the baby arrives.

What WE have done that has worked:

1. Put baby in crib first night and let dogs continue to sleep in our room - no abrupt changes to their routine.

2. Have and still give the dogs lots of one on one attention.

3. Chihuahua had "little dog syndrome" and was very snippy with my daughter once she got mobile.  We worked on the "nothing in life is free" training and he has grown leaps and bounds. Very proud of him (and us); check out Training group for details on that if needed.

4. Dogs are ALWAYS, ALWAYS fed in a separate room AWAY from our daughter and she is not allowed near them when they eat.  Trouble is all I can say. Even the best dogs will resource guard their food, especially with a little human teetering around.

5. NEVER, NEVER give high value chews or treats when baby starts getting mobile.  Peri (goldendoodle) is literally the sweetest dood and loves our Charlotte, but she had an antler once, I turned my back and Peri bit her forehead (Charlotte walked by her, didn't even go up and try to take it/bother her).

6. We work constantly on Charlotte's behavior and treatment of the dogs.  She knows they are part of our family and since the beginning, we have taught her to be gentle, not approach them abruptly, ask them (yes, ask the dogs) if she can pet them first - I always say "Peri, can we pet you?" then C approaches slowly and pets her side or back - not the head.  One time Charlotte was a little more aggressive (not a hit, but just a bit rougher) - she got put in time out for that.  I know this is a looong ways off for you (it will be here soon though!), but my advice is to work with your child just as much as the dogs once the baby arrives :)

Good luck and congratulations :) :) :) :)

Congratulations!

Great advice from Allyson! Sounds like you are off to a good start! Congrats!

One thing to add--the countersurfing--you can put a can of coins on the very edge of the counter with a bit of peanut butter on it--some dogs will be very scared when they lick it and it comes down--and they don't try it again--or it can have a string with peanut butter attached and hanging down. Whenever Maggie jumps up on the counter, slide you foot under her hind legs to get her back on the floor and say OFF--never let her jump up on the cabinets even if it is her food you are fixing.

Good luck!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service