DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Yesterday we learned our 8 week old mini goldendoodle has an under bite.  Our vet said he could possibly outgrow this as his upper jaw lengthens.  Our question is:  Have any of you had a dog with this that out grew it or did you have to have oral surgery or some other remedy?   

A class 3 involves more teeth than the other two classes, so we are concerned.

Thanks 

Mary

Views: 1123

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I thought this was an interesting article, which explains the importance of the bite beyond cosmetic considerations. Who would have thought that an underbite or an overbite could affect posture and skeletal structure? 

http://www.akcchf.org/news-events/library/articles/its-more-than-ju...

Sounds interesting, and I will read it when I get home tonight.  Thank you.

Hi Karen,
I just read the article on my lunch break ...and yes it is very interesting. I know man has bred dogs to meet specific needs, but too often I think we have done them no favor in doing so. Thanks for sending the link.

I think we would have to include breeding dogs to be "family pets" in that "breeding to meet specific needs". :)

IMO, the very best breeders of all types of dogs have a goal of producing the healthiest dogs with the very soundest structure and temperament possible. If they all strived to achieve that, the dogs could only benefit. 

Exactly so.  If we look beyond the cute face of the pug, just as one example of a whole lot of variations, and consider the breathing difficulties we've inflicted, I think we would readjust our priorities. 

Just read it--very interesting--I think I would need more convincing that an underbite on a dog could cause hip issues, ACL issues--c'mon, really? I am afraid I find this hard to believe--but that is just me!

I completely get that these pups like us are imperfect creatures. Heck, most of us have crooked teeth and need braces. But when your paying thousands for a healthy pup, you expect something in return- a healthy pup. There's no way I was going to leave Maples teeth to cause pain and infection. Not to mention missing a window of opportunity. My vet absolutely believed that pulling would give better chances for adult teeth. Have to say, I truly do not believe she would put my pup under anesthesia to make a buck. In fact she did think twice before recommending because surgery is surgery and she wasn't taking lightly. Actually it was too bad we didn't pull her baby upper canines too at the same time. As they did not fall out easily and got in the way as well. She had two sets of upper canines for while, and the adult lowers had very little room to grow outward. But we didn't want to put her under again.

I agree 100% Karen, I think you and your vet did the right thing. 

Yes, I didn't expect to have these issues either; and I totally understand about not wanting to put a dog under anesthesia too often.

I've passed this on to a friend of mine whose dog is rather severe but the vet decided no intervention was needed < I think>

Maybe she can add some input into this discussion.  

Well, it seems Cowboy's malocclusion is now nonexistent.  Yay!!!  He's nearly 6 months old, and maybe I'm dreaming, but I think his upper jaw has grown longer and that has solved the problem.  I kept telling my husband that our boy had a long nose; and when our daughter who had not seen him for a couple of months saw him recently, she said it seemed much longer to her as well.

I was told this could happen, but has anyone else had this experience?  I should probably let the breeder know in case some one else gets one of her pups with this problem.

Yay!! Great news!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service