DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi there fellow Doodlers.  We are having a bit of an issue with Pepsi-Doodle and I am unsure what to do.  My husband and I have spent the last three years building a cottage where we plan to spend weekends and summers.  During construction we did not take Pepsi with us, as he has a tendency to eat things he shouldn't, and I didn't want to risk it.  Here at home, Pepsi sleeps in his "room" which is our main-floor laundry room.  He has a bed under a desk, there is a window above it, and he has slept there since he outgrew his crate as a puppy.  Out at the cottage, we set up his "room" exactly the same.  Main floor laundry room, large window in the same location, you name it.  I just assumed all along that he would happily sleep in there.  I bring his bed and all his toys, dishes, etc from home.  The first night, he would not sleep in his "room".  He cried and howled and I just couldn't do that to him.  We ended up sleeping on the sofa in the living room.  Second night, we took him into our room, and he paced and paced all night.  We are not used to sleeping with him, nor is he used to sleeping with us, so nobody got any sleep at all.  On the second weekend there, I decided to sleep on the laundry room floor with him, to see if that would help increase his comfort level.  He climbed over me at least three times to get out, each time heading to our bedroom.  Then he paced and paced.  I am unsure what to do at this point, just give it time?  We try to make going out there fun, we go for walks and explore the area, despite the fact that it is Canada and -20C!  I don't want to give him free reign of the house during the night because on our first day there, he took a huge poop, right in the middle of our bedroom!  He has never done that here at home, even as a puppy.  But now I don't entirely trust him.  The cottage is supposed to be a place for our family, but this issue with Pepsi is a speed-bump that we did not account for at all!!!  Any advice would be appreciated. 

Views: 79

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't really have and helpful advice for you - sorry!!  I think that with repeated visits there, he will settle down as he gets used to it.  I would try to make sure he gets LOTS of exercise during the day more than he would usually get at home, so that when night time comes he will be really tired and more likely to settle down. 

I think in part it is personality too.  When we were moving house we had to spend a couple of weekends in a motel.  One of our dogs took it all in his stride and quite happily slept through the night.  Our other dog was so restless, pacing and barking at every little noise. I was terrified we were going to get thrown out because he was barking so much that I slept on the floor with him - not fun!!

When we moved into our new house 8 years ago we had Zach, he was 9 at the time....it took him 6 weeks to settle in, he acted just like Pepsi, he will settle down he is just unfamiliar

This is not unusual behavior for a dog changing situations.  Next time take his dirty, the dirtier the better bed with him and see if that does not help him settle.  You could also get him reacquainted with his cage at home and take it with you to use.  Sometimes covering a dog's cage completely with a light sheet or blanket will calm him - sort of like covering a parrot.  Pepsi may also be pacing from becoming travel sick, i.e. carsick.  This can result in large bowel movements after pacing.  We had a dog that exhibited carsickness in this way very frequently when we traveled to a second home.

Even if none of this is helpful, get Pepsi used to his second home just like you did his first - pick a spot for him to sleep and leave him to sleep there.  It would be helpful to be able to spend several nights (more than 2) in a row to get over the hump.  And always have something that smells like home for him at home #2.

Good Luck

Oh gosh, I don't know but whenever we have traveled with the doods they just kind of found their own place.  What time are you arriving?  Is it at night and you are quickly going to bed?  Is ti a long car ride to get there?  Can you give him a stuffed Kong?  Can you try his bed in your room?  Ours have always slept with us so as long as they are with us they are fine.  The poop is probably just stress... I am sure others will have lot's of good advice, so hang in there.. Oh yeah there is also a group called cottage doods or something.. that may help!

Gavin took a bit to adjust to the cottage too.  He had the reverse problem however...would not poo...for days!  In the beginning, I thought I tried gating him in the kitchen area at night, however he seemed anxious and I was afraid he would breach the baby gate (which he had never done and I did not want him to know he could do).  We then put up a gate closing off the hallway and our bedroom.  This worked better as he was able to settle hearing us breathing, even though he wasn't in the same room.  Eventually now, both at home and at the cottage Gavin poos fine and sleeps on the floor in our bed room.  It just takes some time to adjust, so be patient.  Also please come and join our cottage doodle group and share stories about your doodle and your piece of paradise.  http://www.doodlekisses.com/group/cottagedoodles

All the advice sounds great! The only thing I can add is that we have taken Bailey to our cabin a couple of times and she is always go go go there, the only time she settles down is if we physically place her in the crate, close the door, and cover 3 sides.  Maybe he just needs a smaller space to feel comfortable?

You could try using a DAP diffuser near his bed or a DAP collar for him. This is a Dog Appeasing Pheromone that has a calming effect. It is great for use during anxious times and to help settle a dog in an unfamiliar situation - if they are finding this difficult.

Do you have this in the US? The diffuser would have to be pluged in at a ground level - to get the maximum effect and very close to his bed. If this is not possible you could either try a collar (which has to be left on all the time to be effective as body heat releases the pheromone scent) or a spary. The spray you would just spray on his bedding beofre bedtime each evening.

Otherwise - could you section off part of the kitchen for night times - or another area that is used by the family. He might find it easier to settle in a place where he is used to spending time with his people so a utility/kitchen area sectioned off with a gaurd could work.

Hope he settles soon.

Thanks everyone!  We are heading out there for part of the long weekend here so we will have to see how things go.  I can get a pheromone diffuser, I think our veterinarian sells them... He seems happiest there when the entire family is there also.  Times when my husband isn't able to come or if it is just me out there without the kids he seems the most restless.  Like he misses everyone and wonders where they are.  Hopefully with time and all your advice things will iron out. 

I think you might enjoy this:

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/11/dogs-dont-understand-...

(I think someone here posted it a while back or it showed up in my twitter feed.  Either way, it is awesome.)

I wish I had advice for you too...

Hilariously funny both prose and drawings.  Thanks for such a good laugh
Thanks Melissa and Porter, that was hilarious!  And it made me realize that I am very very lucky to just have one dog at this point in our life! 
You just gave me yet another thing to add to my growing list about why it is important to crate train a dog. Anyway, I would go back to square one and crate train him.  Keep him crated at night in his primary home and take the crate with you to the cottage.  My dogs do a fair amount of traveling, but no matter where they go, they have their own special space to call home.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service