DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Not Rooney or Stuart's thank God but my dad's dog Pugsley.  My dear father took an old buddy (think Grumpy Old Men but they aren't grumpy), his two dogs and took a drive from Michigan down to Florida to see my brother.  While there Pugsley (who I am not overly found of but hey it is family) had his eye ball start to swell up, dad took him to a local vet thinking that he had scratched it or was have an allergy problem.  The vet informed him that the dog had a cyst in the eye.  Pugsley was put on several medications and things started to look better but yesterday the eye was worse so they operated and removed the eye.  I am feeling so bad for my sweet father, who is the biggest animal lover ever and is always taking in strays and injured animals.  I've never heard of something like this happening with no warning, is it common?  Is this breed specific?  Pugsley is a rescued Pug whose original owner killed himself and the wife and kids dumped him.  My dad is worried sick and now would like to return home but doesn't want to make Pugsley travel till he is feeling better.  Anybody have an experience with this issue?  Thanks.  

As of last night Pugsley was not eating or drinking, not doing well at all, blood coming out the nose  - just lots of awful stuff.  Dad was worried he might not make it through the night but he did and then finally this afternoon seems to have turned a corner.  Ate a little, drank a little - no more bleeding.  Dad says it is just painful to look at - they I guess shaved to the skin and left the stiches hanging with really long threads - kinda like a dog from a Tim Burton movie - only with 1 eye.  I'll keep you all updated - thanks so much for caring about a dog that isn't a doodle, I appreciate all the info, advice and concern.  xoxoxo

Views: 555

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOL - remember when Stuart was attack by those Puggles and I got bit?  I don't like Pugs either but I love my dad so what can I say - family.  My dad is just so good to all animals - when one of my dad's dogs (RIP) was in the declining years and could no longer walk up and down the short flight of steps into the house - my dad carried this huge dog - while my dad weighs maybe 140 tops.  My dad's other dog is a rescue that has some type of human disease where the brain shrinks away.  Sam was going to be put down but because of my dad's loving care he has lasted 5 years now.  His head is all sunken in several spots - pretty gross looking but my dad just keeps loving him and caring for him.  My dad is truely amazing to me in so many ways - so my heart hurts for him as he watches Pugsley go through this.

I'm sorry for your Dad and Pugsley.....I hope he re-coups quickly.  Fingers crossed that Pugsley makes a speedy recover and they are able to travel home easily.  Your Dad sounds like  a pretty special guy Jane.  : )

I would not apply anything to the surgery site without the vets permission. You do not want to take any chances on getting the site infected.

So sorry but I agree with everyone that he will be fine and will adjust easily. My dad has only one eye and lost one when he was just a boy--he is now 92 and has done just fine without his eye--he just has to be careful when driving and going around corners (yes, he still drives!!) but since the pup will never be driving, i think you are OK!

My brother in law, also, only has one eye. He lost his as a young boy in a baseball game. He drives, plays golf and has even made a hole in one. The only thing he says he can not do is watch a 3D movie, that just does not work :) Since Pugsley will probably not be watching a 3D movie, I think he will be fine.

I am so sorry for Pugsley and your dad.  My house is sending positive thoughts for a speedy and easy recovery to Pugsley.

I will pray for a speedy recovery for Pugsley and for your dad!  What a sweet man for being so concerned about his traveling.

We have neighbors that have a Puggle and it had to have an eye removed about 2 years ago and has been great, she said it was because of an eyelid that turned in and scratched and infected the cornia.  Kind of odd but they also have a Boston Terrier that had to have one eye removed when it was 10 weeks old and they said it was because of a cyst that she was born with.  On a funny note they had a sign made that says "Beware of Dogs, We Both Have an Eye On You" and it has 2 sets of eyeballs and one eye on each set is an X.  LOL 

how awful, especially being away from home. I knew of a puggle with an eye issue from birth - I think it is common. Hope hes ok

I'm sorry to hear this. I don't know about Pugs and eye conditions. My cousin has a cat that had one of his eyes removed and as far as any of us can tell he doesn't really notice all that much. Pugsley can live a happy life once he gets used to it. I hope he and your dad are feeling better soon!

Pugsley is not doing well at all.  Will not take any food or water.  How does a vet remove an eye and just send a dog home?  I'd think they should at least have the first day of care.  My poor dad is at his wits ends trying to help the poor thing.  Hoping for some better news tomorrow.  :(

I feel so bad for your dad, wish there was something we could do to help him and Pugsley.

Maybe he's just suffering from the anesthesia and pain. I think your dad should take him to the vet tomorrow if he won't drink. I guess it would have to be an eemrgency clinic.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service