DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Our little Lola is about 8 1/2 months old and now she has begun to shed and I have no idea why and worst of all I'm allergic.  She has always had straight hair more like a golden than a poodle but being an F1b I didn't think it was possible for her to shed.  My son wasn't brushing her as well as he should and then we went on vacation for four days the family watching her also didn't brush her and as a result we had to get her totally shaved.  It was horrible and I swear when I went to pick her up from the salon I thought at first they were giving me the wrong dog until I was close enough to see that it was my Lola except that she looks like a bald I don't know what.  They did leave her tail long and now all of the sudden I am noticing her hair on the couch.  I'm also having my eyes get red and itching and all the other issues that come up when you have an allergy to dogs which I do.  What can I do?  She has a healthy diet and I give her coconut oil so what the heck is going on? Is it common for the Golden coat trait to pop out this many generations away?  She is only 1/4 Golden retriever for crying out loud and we got a doodle this far removed for this very reason, I AM ALLERGIC TO DOG HAIR!

Views: 1419

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You have gotten great advice here and I hope for your sake that it works--I want you to love your dog without the pain of sniffling and trying to breathe!!!

But I am a bit steamed that a breeder who sold you the pup did not warn you about the risks--this bugs me--the thing that really got me was your comment that your pup had straighter hair--even though Karen says it is the protein, not the coat (and she is probably, if not definitely right) those pups that have curlier hair do not SEEM to cause as many allergic reactions--maybe there is a connection between the protein and the curliness??? who knows?...my point is that if the breeder knew you had allergies, you might have been given one of the curlier pups to increase your chances of not being allergic.

When we have a family with allergies coming to meet the pups I raise, they meet ONE at a time in their car (so they do not pick up anything from the other pups, the mom or the house) and we start with the curliest ones in the litter--and we have had great success with placing pups into families with allergies--maybe we just got lucky, but it would be nice if breeders were more upfront about the risks. We tell families that meeting other doodles or the parents of the puppy or the siblings tells you nothing!

So sorry you are going thru this--good luck.

I agree Ginny, I also found it odd that a breeder would not steer a client with allergies to a curlier puppy.

Curlier coated dogs do tend to shed less than straighter haired, and it may be that they tend to have less of the KNF1 protein, too. 

I totally agree with you. I was going to write all about our research in my response but I deleted it because it seemed irrelevant at this point. But I will say I had a straight-haired doodle breeder pretty much swear on her life that I would not be allergic to her dogs. And then I talked to the breeder we bought from, and she told me how important it was that I get a curly coated dog. I did more research, and it became clear to me that the first breeder either had no clue what she was talking about OR was just trying to make a sale....

I sneezed like crazy when we first brought home our second doodle, Maci. I feared I was allergic to her but of course knew I would keep her regardless. This went on for several months. I took Zyrtec religiously everyday. I no longer have any problems at all even when she is in my face, but I still take Zyrtec. I wonder if part of the reaction was to her coupled with the fact that she and yogi carried the allergens into the house. Don't know if it's because of the Zyrtec, her coat changing, or me somehow getting over it, but whatever the reason I was very relieved. Hoping for the best for you too.

There are many possibilities to why this may be happening.

First, dog dander is a protein that is sourced from the dog's skin- not their fur. So shedder or not, all dogs have skin, its just that different breeds will omit less of these proteins than others. Goldendoodles are generally considered hypoallergenic, but this may be misleading because you can't guarantee their genetics due to them being mixed with one breed that sheds near to no dander (poodle), and one that sheds LOTS (the goldie). You literally cannot predict what you're gonna get. That's whats so tricky about doodles and other mixes.

Second, around 8 months is usually when puppy coats begin to blow, and this means hair everywhere- hide away all your black t-shirts! But of course, all dogs coats vary. If this is what the case is with your dog, then don't worry, its temporary.

Third, are you sure it isn't just the spring season? Some people's spring allergies are over the top, like mine. One day I'm totally fine, the next I'll be sneezing 5-6 times consecutively and blowing my nose so much I look like Rudolph. But I digress.

Fourth reason also pertains to the season. Some doodles shed seasonally. Like I mentioned before, all doodles vary. Your dog may shed at one point in her life, then never shed again. Or she might shed once or twice every year. Or she might be an all year round shedder.

Whatever it may be, at this point, you are totally in love and devoted to your dog. However much she may shed, it will never faze how much joy she brings you and your family... keep that in mind :-)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service