DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

So we just finished giving Bailey her first set of de-worming medicine. We will need to give her a second dose in about 20 days. When I told the vet, that I did not have an issue giving this medicine to my other dog Bindi, he was a bit surprised. Bindi just liked it up, she loved the taste. It was a real battle to give it to Bailey & I have battle wounds to show it. We had to pry her mouth open while a second person held her still & then we would squirt the syringe in alttle at a time in her mouth and then hold her mouth shut. Would like to make it less stressful for Bailey as well as us. Does anyone have any ideas that worked for you?

Views: 137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Really!? She must have a strong will --the cute little stinker! it is usually a piece of cake to put it back in their mouth and squirt it in! If she really hates it, then she will pick up the smell of it no matter what you mix it with, so my guess is that you will have to use the same method next time, but she will be older and it MIGHT be easier by then.

We use Instinct Raw Beef Medallions.  Dogs love them.  I will poke a hole in part of the medallion and fill he hole with the med and then squeeze the hole shut.  Works like a charm.  If we need to give a larger qualtity of any med, we just poke an extra hole or two in the medallion...

Good idea! I thought maybe the smell of the meds would deter them--but sounds like this is a strong enough incentive to get around that.

I am so sorry.  We had a cat once that we had to wrap in a towel to medicate.  We even took him to the vet and let them do it.  He never got better, but luckily, he rarely needed meds.  

She is a chow hound so maybe putting it in the food is the way to go. I think she didn't likr thr syringe.

Try squirting it on a small piece of bagel and covering the smell with a small dab of peanut butter.  I had a dog, Thor, would had epilepsy and had to have potassium cloride twice every day, it tastes nasty but no smell.  I would have three small pieces of half a bager and squirt one with the KCl.  Then I put a dab of peanut butter on each piece. I gave him the medicine piece in the middle of the two not medicine pieces and it went right down for many years.  Bagels are pretty absorbent, especially stale ones and can soak up quite a bit.  The peanut butter covers the smell.  KCl doesn't smell to me, but it did to Thor - no way was he letting me squirt that down his throat twice a day!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service