DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Can someone recommend a good lead/leash for walking a 10 week old puppy? We bought a leash but he's too small for it right now - I like the idea of a lead that just slips over his neck, but want something really good. I bought one at Petco and I feel like it's strangling him. Any suggestions?

Views: 345

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ugh, I hate flat collars. They do choke dogs and should be used when the pup is already trained.   Beware, small poodle breeds are prone to crushed pharynx and larynx and tracheal collapse,  which  is catastrophic

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/tracheal-collapse-dogs

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/05/21...

So, I would never recommend a slip lead!  

There is another discussion right now about Easy Walk Harness.   Get one of those :)  . 

I agree after trying many different things- possibly every option, I have found the easy walk to be the best for my shoulder and my dog. He still has a collar for his tags that I never take off, just so he has something with his information.

I agree with the easy walk harness--try not to pull on the neck--and the best harness clips in the front, not on the back....The best lead for your hands is a 1/2 inch wide leather lead--not easy to find, but worth it--you get a good grip and it doesn't burn your skin like a woven lead can when the dog pulls....the more you use it, the better it feels..Leerburg.com has nice ones.

100% agree with the Easy Walk harness.  You won't be sorry and it is so much safer for the pup.

I highly recommend the Easy Walk Harness too.  Since the clip is at the chest of the dog, it prevents the dog from pulling because when they do it turns the dogs front back to you.  Beau used one until he was 8 mos old.  I then slowly transitioned him to collar.  The first time the collar pulled on his neck, he definitely did not like that feeling, and refrained from going out in front. 

Thanks everyone, so I'm okay to use a harness for him so young? 

I certainly am not an athuority on anything but I would think that this would be safer for your puppy because it's not applying any pressure to the puppy's neck like Joan mentioned. The easy walk clips in the front so if they pull it pulls from the center of the chest (so all that force isn't around a little neck) and re-directs them so they stop pulling.
We got Gracie the easy walk. She is just a little over 4 months. She got it when she was a little over 3 months. It does not hurt them and it is better than them getting choked by their collar.
My husband was walking her everyday while I went to visit my sister and he loved it. However, one day he wasn't paying attention and she chewed on it so I am waiting on a new one. He takes her down to his mom's and wasn't watching her. Smh!
He used a regular harness on her and could tell the difference. By the second walk, she really figured it out and was pulling super hard. So, we wait for her new easy walk harness to come. It does not promote pulling.

Is your puppy a puller?  Ned is a smaller guy, but as a puppy, he never pulled enough on the leash to worry about a harness and attaching a lead to his collar worked fine.

I personally am a fan of the Freedom Harness.  It works a lot like the Easy Walk as it has a clip in the front, but it also has a clip on the back.  You can use two leashes while training.  I also like the way it fits in the front.  The Easy Walk to me just seems awkward the way it fits across their front legs.  I have both.  I actually probably have every training harness made and have been using the Freedom Harness on both girls for about a year and a half now.

HI there, we bought the Freedom Harness on the advice of our puppy trainer and I think it's going to work well. Thanks!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service