DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

So my Griffin will be a year old at the end of December. I've grown a little concern since this weekend. We gave him a bath and to me he just looks SOOOO skinny. I was confused because he eats well, is extremley active, and is the bigggest snuggle bug in the world. You know, just a very happy dog. He never acts like he is starving, but is always excited for a treat :)

My boyfriend says it's just the poodle in him. He was wet from the bath when I noticed his small frame. He is just SOO fluffy that I never noticed it before and normally we take him to the groomers but Saturday he was at the dog park all day and he was soooo dirty so this was the first time I saw him soaking wet. He is about 55-60 pounds and is about 2 feet tall.

Is he too thin? I can't see his bones, but my Griff has a lot of fur. I could feel his bones pretty good though.

Views: 428

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How big were his Mom and Dad?  Our breeder predicted Enzo to be just about that.  Her Mom was a smallish Golden and Dad a Standard Poodle....probably weighing just about that, as well.   We always laugh, because Enzo is about 40lbs now, at 6 months.  She looks so much bigger than she really is....until she gets wet, and then she like a skinny little rat.

They all shrink in the wash. 

LOL!
LOL Nicky!! Funny how they plump right up though when they are dry, isn't it?

Hahaha, yeah I looked up Goldendoodles that just got out of the water and they all look like my Griffin. I swear he looks like he has lost ten pounds when he is wet !

Don'tcha wish it worked that way for us??????

:). So true!

Funny Nicky- and so true!  Quincy also always looks so forlorn standing in our shower soaking wet! 

Bwhahahahahaha!

Im always shocked everytime I see my Murphy wet. he is small boned and fluffy. When I shave him down it takes us both a few weeks before we stop saying "He's too skinny' Vet says he's perfect weight and has been for 5 years. If you can feel the ribcage easily under his dry fur, ( without having to press, which would indicate a little too much weight) then he is probably just right. If his ribs are sticking out and hip bones are jutting out, then maybe he can use a few pounds. All vets will want them to be on the slim side for health and bone issues. Some are prone to hip dysplasia, and carrying extra weight is a big contributing factor.
And both of my 62-65 pounders are ALWAYS looking for food and devour their meals like they havent eaten in a week, so dont go by that theory, especially where treats are involved.
wow, Im impressed, one whole year and you've never seen him soaking wet? My two are half fish, half dogs and always finding water! And ususally the day after I just bathed them!!!

I know, I want to see him in the water SO badly ! We just don't live near any kind of lakes, and we don't have a pool near by. We work and live right outside of DC.We're at the dog park every weekend and walk an an hour and half together every morning and night. I still feel like I'm depriving him of what comes natural to their breed. So we are taking a trip this spring to lake anne, I'm ready to see a whole new side of him :)

It is strange though how some really take to the water like you'd expect them to and some just don't like it at all. Our Murphy makes a bee line for any water, and when he was a puppy we were traveling and when we;d hike, if he;d even think he'd hear a babbling brook he would head right for it and jump in, and stay in it even though it was freezing water. He loves the ocean, lakes, rivers, pools, puddles, bathtub, baby pools and just a bucket of water excites him. Heck, I can't keep him out of his drinking water at the dog park. Thank goodness he finally stopped swimming in his water bowl in the house.
Our Bella, well, she will dip her big front paw in like she's testing the temperature and then turn around and look at the water like its going to come up and engulf her any minute. Same breed, same breeder, same upbringing, always around a pool since she was a pup. So no telling what Griffin will do. maybe if he doesn't like water, you wont feel like he is missing out on something natural to their breed anymore.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service