DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi, our puppy did not like the crate the 1st night he came home, actually I could not handle the whining . I tried to put him in bed with my has bund and I and he didn't like that either. So I set up a little den for him between my bed and the wall, and with the night stand and his bed pillow it's like a cave without being covered. He loves it and sleeps like a baby. We live in a ranch house so we are on one floor and every time he wants to nap he goes to the bedroom and lays in his space. I am okay with this however never had a dog do this and just want to make sure he stays social. Is this okay for him to want to be alone when napping? Now, he does want to be with us constantly when he is awake and doing a fantastic job potty training, loves to play/rough house with Elroy and overall a fantastic puppy. I just want to make sure he doesn't become a social dog... Hope this makes sense, I am just a nervous new mommy.

Views: 534

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We are actually experiencing the same thing with our 5 year old retired breeding girl that we got two weeks ago. She likes to go to the bed to take a power nap. Never had an accident in the house so we allow it, but it was strange to us too at first; her daughter is always sleeping near us. We've also never had a dog do that before. It's good to know others have doodles that do the same.

Not to worry--he has his own special safe place, and is social at other times.  What a cutie!

Thank you

I think it shows that your dog feels secure, safe, and is well adjusted enough to just go chill out.   Many wish for such -

Thanks so much

I think that sounds perfect, he must be a very well adjusted pup!

My dog didn't like to sleep with us for a long time. She spent a lot of time resting between the toilet and the wall in the bathroom. Now she cuddles with us when we go to bed, for about twenty minutes then goes into the bathroom for the night. She wakes up at about 6:30 to get in bed with us too. I don't think it's anything to worry about. 

I know what you are going through. I have a new puppy and have had anxiety issues over almost everything.

At first she seemed to care less and be almost afraid of people. "What if she's an anti-people dog?"
She would back up when I went to pick her up all the time. "She has a fear of me and doesn't trust me! What if she is a fearful dog."
She sits and makes eye contact and barks her head off for 2 seconds. "I have a monster, and she's dominant and I will have a hard time controlling her."
She has an infection that hasn't cleared up. "Oh no. After all this money I have a sick dog."
She can't figure out some really basic things that my last dog had no issues with. "Oh, my god, I've got a stupid dog."

The list in my head goes on. But I know most of those things are my own issues. I also know I probably didn't get the perfect dog because there is no such thing. I just feel pretty darn lucky that she is about as perfect as I could expect and I am grateful. 

and as I was busy typing this she threw up all over the carpet.

Both of your comments hit so home with us I had to read it to Mindy and we laughed our heads off...especially about the throwing up. We thought we were the only ones.
Thanks for sharing the worries of a new doodle mom that we all share.
It's only been a week and I need sleep!!!! He slept over 6 hours last night ... Yeah!!
Now we will move on to another phase...lol
I don't see a problem with this at all. She views her little cave as her safe haven. Enzo disappears once in awhile to go back to our bedroom to catch a snooze on her bed. Quiet and cozy! And Enzo is probably the most social little butterfly you will ever see. ;)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service