DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

So I was in petsmart with my doodles last night and everybody was comment on how well they were behaved and how pretty.....I was very happy to hear the comment until the lady at the end of the line had to put in her two cents oh so they are just mutts overpriced....Has anyone else ever experienced this rude behavior?  I was furious.........................If i could have only stooped to her level and told her what I thought......

Shawn

P.S

Bella and Bentley where not happy with her remarks either....They said mom should we pee pee on her foot.....lmao

Views: 235

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have experienced similar comments and surprising it was the receptionist at my vet's office. There is always seems to be a Negative Nellie in every crowd. IMHO it is because they are jealous of all the positive attention our doods get.
I think you may be on the right track--it is jealousy--especially on the part of the breeders--a lot of their would-be customers are flocking to the doodle breeders and paying twice as much for a doodle as they would a purebred (at least around here where breeder's are rare) --we know they are worth every penny, but there is a lot of prejudice against them out there. This has happened many times before in the doggy world every time someone has tried to get a new breed recognized by the AKC. It takes a long time to be accepted and for now, we are the "underdogs" in the AKC world and that encourages some people to stick up their noses and be rude. How silly it all is!!
Yup. I have. People need to remember what their mother taught them when they were little...." If you don't have nothing nice to say, then don't say nothing"!!!!
Amen Sister!! (smile)
My vet actually said this me! He said "They used to call these dogs muts and you couldn't give them away!" I couldn't believe it. As has been said many times in this discussion, all breeds were mixed through generations to get what the breeders wanted. Do we think today's breeds were all on the ark?? Unbelievable.
The first time I experienced 'doodle hatred' was when browsing an on-line dog groomers forum. Wow! There was some serious doodle and doodle-owner hatred going on! 'If they don't want their dog to look like a poodle, why'd they get a half-poodle?' 'Doodles have the worst traits of both breeds.' 'They're horrible to groom and the owners are NEVER happy. I'd refuse to do them if I didn't need a job.' 'They're mutts, UGLY, HAIRY, STUPID, OVERPRICED mutts.' And so on. And on. And on.
Wow...that's pretty intense Pat...
I know what you mean though...
I was talking to a groomer in a really nice boutique shop that also did grooming...and she went on and on...saying things like...
I don't know why someone would ever breed a dog that sheds with a dog that doesn't shed??!!
That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard of!
What do you expect to happen when the adult coat comes in??
They are a nightmare to groom...etc...
And the White ones...They are the worst!!
This was knowing full well that Sasha was a White F1 GoldenDoodle...
Thankfully...I didn't have Sasha with me at the time.
Needless to say...I didn't take Sasha there for her grooming...and I haven't been back to the store again either!!
Yeah, I was shocked to see such a doodle-hater feeding frenzy going on. I hadn't realized that there was a prejudice out there concerning these dogs. Now, I'm sure matted, hairy dogs are difficult and time-consuming for groomers (not that all or even most doodles are like this--just sayin'), and there apparently isn't a well-known standard 'picture' yet for groomers of what a doodle should look like, so owners probably are more likely to have all sorts of instructions and wants when they bring their doodles in to be groomed. Even so, more and more groomers are gonna have to suck it up and deal with doodles and their owners--we ain't goin' away, and a good, friendly doodle groomer could make a nice living with us!
I used to work in a grooming shop and I can kind of understand the frustration. Many doodles get brought in horribly matted because the owners didn't brush enough. This is pretty common. then the owners instruct them not to shave, but work through each mat. It takes a long time and is painful for the dog. When they ultimately have to shave them, the owners are very angry.

Also, doodle owners ARE picky about their dogs not looking poodle like. I just barely had Darwin groomed, and although I told the groomer it was an awesome job, I had misgivings. I felt like he looked like a bobble head. After taking him home I realized how much I had overreacted. I think using clippers period produces a more groomed "poodle like" look. They can't really do anything about that.

Anyways, I am just saying I can see where their frustrations come from. But bottom line, they groom dogs professionally. It is their job, and not every dog is going to be super easy. It is inexcusable for a groomer to be rude to a customer about their breed choice. And no matter how hard the dog is to groom, they shouldn't complain to the owner, that is the opposite of professional.
I totally understand what you are saying Camilla...about owners coming in with Very Specific instructions...and being Very Particular...
Or...some coming in with heavy matting...and not wanting to have the dog shaved...etc...
I understand the frustration that the groomer must have also...but...I don't think the frustration should be vented to the customer...and I know that you don't either.
I also agree with your last statement...and...I think that this is what most of us are talking about here...
I feel that the groomer should be professional...and speak kindly but also be informative...
And...I feel that the customer who brings in their Doodle... should be respectful too..and work together with the groomer.
It's all about respect...and being kind and not rude...from both the customer and the groomer.
Treating someone...like you would want to be treated...is a good way to deal with people...don't you think?? (smile)
Definitely. A little kindness goes a long way....
I LOVE your answer Joyce....I will keep this in mind!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service