DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I'm wondering if anyone out there has any input from experience on this. Our Gordon, 5 years old, had a seizure about a month ago. The vet did all the blood work and found nothing odd, so she said just to keep an eye on him and that if it kept up we might want to get a CT scan.

Since then, he hasn't been as lively as he used to be. Doesn't want to play ball (which he loved, previously). Then we noticed he seemed a little unsure on his feet - wasn't jumping quite as well - but this sort of came and went. He would have little bursts of energy and want to play tag, but they didn't last as long as they used to.

Then I woke up at 4:30 am to find him just staring at me today. I let him out and when he didn't come back in after a bit, I went outside and found him at the bottom of the stairs just looking up at me. They are shallow stone steps and there are only about 4 of them, so it isn't like he has to climb a ladder to get back into the house. He wouldn't come when I called him. I went down and doted on him a bit and then tried to get him moving back into the house again. Eventually, he just snapped to and went into the house.

All day he has been just laying down, and when he does walk he seems to be doing so gingerly. We couldn't coax him up on the bed. Sometimes when we talked to him he barely responded, and wouldn't go get the paper.(which he loves).

He will still eat a treat if you give it to him, so he isn't off his food. We called the vet and she confirmed they had run all the tests (except lyme disease, he is on preventative) and at this point it might be a brain tumor.

He's getting more alert as the day goes on, but he is definitely not right. All the nuerologist in our area are apparently on vacation - we finally got an appt. for a consult next Wed. but though we thought we had to get a CT, they implied the 3 hour away $3000 MRI was the better way to go if he needs a brainscan. I'm not sure what they do at the consult that would change what seems like a straight path to a CT or an MRI.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Any input welcome, we're falling to pieces here. He is our baby.

Views: 78

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry to hear about all this. Hoping it turns out to be something easily fixed.
We are sending you and Gordon strength and prayers that your battle will be a small one....blessings
Hi Amy,
We had problems with one of our Beagles who had numerous seizures over her life span. She had a number of issues, actually, but that was one of them. With one of her seizures she became very lethargic, and we were very worried. It also seemed to last longer than some of the others. Our Vet did recommend we see a Neurologist, and it was just so helpful. Our regular vet also suspected a brain tumor, and told us this on the phone. It was awful. I did get Lucy in, and the Neurologist examined her thoroughly, and ran some tests, asked us lots of questions,and also offered the CT or MRI as an option. We did not wind up doing the CT, as the resulting blood work put us in another direction. Meeting with him was very informative and helpful to us. He did ask about exposure to chemicals...anti-freeze, lawn chemicals, pesticides, rodent and other pest treatments, cleaning chemicals, etc... In our case, it turned out Lucy had an "Atypical Cushings Disease". Just meeting with him was very reassuring, and he was a good sleuth to rule out other options for seizures, the blank look, the lethargy. If he can meet with you, get a good history, look at prior medical records,etc... I think it would be the best bet. If Gordon is having hip pain, he may be able to evaluate that as well. Ours would have done the CT or MRI, plus Lumbar Puncture next, but we didn't go that route....we didn't need to. If the Neurologist could give you other reasons for seizures, that would be helpful. If you need to go the route of CT or MRI, you have least been informed of other potential issues and perhaps have them ruled out.

My heart aches for you, as it is so painful to watch your baby not feel himself, and to feel helpless this way. Please do keep us posted. I will be thinking of you guys daily.... Prayers and good thoughts your way for Gordon's best health, and for peace and reassurance for you. I too, hope there will be a simple solution. Lauri
Ask the vet to do a tick panel. Ticks also carry Rocky Mountain spotted fever and Ehrlichiosis which can cause many symptoms which sometimes come and go.
In our area, ticks have been carrying Lyme, Ehrlichiosis and something called babeosis? (or something like that). My son had Ehrlichiosis last year--not fun! So, as I read this, I am pretty sure that you are dealing with that--let's hope so!
Babesiosis
Oh Amy - I just saw this... I feel so bad for you... I am hoping it is indeed lymes, or something... I too can NOT believe your vet said that over the phone... when you and Gordon get through this hurdle, perhaps you can look for a new vet! Good luck! Sending positive thoughts and prayers to poor Gordon!!!!! I'll be watching to see how gordon is feeling!
Hi Amy. I too agree with Shelly....change that vet of yours. I am in the medical field (two legged not four) but he had no right to throw out "brain tumor" to you without doing conclusive tests...What an ass....It so infuriates me when so-called "education" professionals do this to people without a second thought to how it will be received. I hope and pray that your four-legged baby does not have a brain tumor but if he does, then I suggest you get a second opinion regarding how to deal with it. Like all the other doodlekisses members, I am praying for something far more simple to deal with. Keep posting your feelings and updates, we are all here for you...:)
I'm sorry to hear that Gordon is in pain and feeling out of sort. I hope that you get an accurate diagnosis for his discomfort soon. Sending our hugs, kisses and positive thoughts your way.
Still waiting to hear on the Lyme disease but he is MUCH perkier today. Whether it is caused by lyme disease or he's just starting to get a little arthritis in his hind end, it is definitely NOT a brain tumor. He was just so sore yesterday that he was acting really strange - but combined with his seizure from before and our worried little minds, it meant when the dr said before he either had epilepsy or a brain tumor now it was a brain tumor. When I called the vet and said "so... now what? Epilepsy wouldn't make him lethargic for a month, would it? He's really bad today. What now? That CT scan the dr. mentioned?" The girl at the desk and the vet she asked just said "I guess so." I do wish someone had taken a second to think about the hearbroken panicked doodle momma on the other line and say -- wait a second... why don't you bring him in and lets think about this a bit more... The other vet I did end up talking to was great.

I feel stupid that a seizure (which was more traumatic for us than it was for him!) and then soreness and then REAL soreness teamed up to make us think it was time to leap to brain tumor as the only other option. But live and learn!
Oh Amy! that is GRRRRRREAT news! That's how us moms are....we pour our hearts and souls into all of our children - whether they have fur with four legs or hair on their heads with two legs....Isn't it great to know that you can 'talk' to someone at any time, right at the tips of your fingers for support, guidance, sympathy and knowledge?.... that somehow these doctors loose along in their practicing of medicine... yes it's a science but PEOPLE are not mechanical beings. We have hearts that are warm, delicate and broken at times. I am definitely like you - it's hard for me to focus on the 'good' when the not so good has been voiced and enters my thoughts. I think when you can get a clear head you should express how you felt about what he did and how he handled your situation. It may make you feel better to put him in his place, and perhaps save someone else that heartache he caused.... hoping Gordon continues on the mend!!
Glad to hear you are both feeling better. Please keep us posted. If it isn't Lyme disease a visit to a neurologist may be be well worth the money for your piece of mind.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service