DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi everyone! We brought our 8 week old little girl (multi-gen Australian labradoodle) home this past Friday and are just loving her to pieces.  What a wonderful addition to our family of 5! I have a quick question for all of you experienced doodle moms and dads.  We have family that live several hours away that we visit quite often so I want Gracie to be comfortable riding in the car with us. I thought that I would take her with me each day when I drop off and pick up the kids at school (and on other short trips during my day). Does anyone have any suggestions on having her ride comfortably in the car? In a crate?  On a harness? Any other method that has worked for you and your doodle? Thanks so much for any advice you could give!

Views: 334

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have one of these:

http://sleepypod.com/clickit

it's the only car harness that has actually safety tested to keep your dog safe if there is an accident. It's quite comfortable for my dog, and if you watch some of the safety testing done on other harnesses and what could happen it will freak you out. It is a little bit of money but I feel it's worth it. 

Congrats on your new pup!  Getting her used to being in the car from the beginning is best, so it's great that you plan to bring her with you on daily trips starting now.  I've always had both my dogs harnessed in the car, but I think Eloise would probably like a crate better as she can be a nervous Nellie.

Eloise has gone through all kinds of phases - she loved riding in the the car as a small puppy.  Then around 3-4 mos old, she began getting car sick on longer trips - she would get super drool-y then get sick, so I learned to limit her food intake before we left on a longer trip.  (I did get her Rx carsickness meds once for a couple all-day drives.)  She eventually outgrew the carsickness, but around that time she developed a general anxiety for being in the car...basically panting the entire time.  Even though we have an SUV now, I don't think she likes the open floor space.  I just bought some foam "seat extenders" from Orvis to fill the floorboard space between the back seat and front seats, and I'm pretty sure she'll still pant, ha!

My puppy, Beasley, has been pretty low-maintenance when it comes to the car since day one (knock on wood).  She just whines because she wants to be next to me.  Here's hoping your puppy stays low-maintenance, too. :)

We use a harness, and we also have a car seat cover that is a kind of hammock like design, which stops him from falling into the front seat if we have to stop fast.

Reading the responses about getting car sick - have any of you tried Dramamine? I know when we had inherited my mother's rat terrier, she got car sick. But, she loved to go for rides. We would give her 1/2 a pill about an hour before the ride (there are dosage recommendations according to their weight). She did great on it. Before that, it didn't matter what we did - not even withholding food - nothing else seemed to work.
Thank you all for your wonderful tips and advice! I did learn the hard way when we took her to the vet first thing in the morning -- after she had her breakfast -- when she got a little car sick. Poor thing :( I will now remember to limit the food right before she gets in the car. I had her in the crate when we were in the car the last two days . She whimpered when she first got in but then seemed to settle right now. I'm going to look into the other options you all suggested and very much appreciate you passing along your experiences. Thanks!!
I use one of those car hammocks in the back seat and some of then have openings for the buckles you can still use a harness but Loki loves the hammock and will even lay down on his back and spread out to relax if it's a long car ride!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service