DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I recently paid a deposit to be added to a reservation list for a puppy that has yet to be conceived--pregnancy confirmation expected in a couple of weeks.  I know that mother nature plays a huge role, but am I being unrealistic in believing that I will have a puppy this Summer?  Should I place more than one deposit to increase my chances of getting a large, standard chocolate, black, red or apricot male Labradoodle?   Looking at all of these beautiful Doodles on this site makes me even more excited to have a Doodle to call my very own.

Views: 627

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think that is unrealistic--but perhaps the breeder can tell you how many reservations she has for this litter--sometimes they take 6-8 reservations and only the first 5 get pups if there are only 5 in the litter.

I agree with Ginny. If you know where you are in the 'picking order' that could definitely give you a little more to work with and help your peace of mind.

It is not uncommon to pay a deposit so far in advance on a litter that has yet to be conceived. That's quite common since doodles are so high in demand. Sounds to me like you're ahead of the game :)

My situation was the same. We paid a deposit in August 2011 and the puppies were born in December. The breeder updated us with news and photos regularly throughout the process. It was a very exciting, but anxious time. We got to visit the puppies twice and took our Koal home in February 2012. He is now the spoiled fourth member of our family and was definitely worth the wait. Good luck! Use your waiting time to read all you can and "ooh and ahh" over the photos.

I am on this site daily just checking out the photos and reading the discussions--very interesting stuff :).

It is so worth the wait. I put my deposit down and had to wait for the delivery and the following 8 weeks. I just picked up my boy Murfee Saturday, and he stole my heart from the minute I held him. I was fortunate that my breeder kept me in the loop by sending updates and weekly pictures. It was a really long wait but one I would do over in a minute to be able to add a Goldendoodle to my home. Good luck and do let us know the status. 

It may also help to know from the breeder - if they have bred the female in the past - how big of a litter she has 'thrown' in the past.  If you know past litter sizes, and your place on the waiting list - that might be a helpful indicator of whether you should get your hopes up or not.  I understand why you would want a doodle - they really are the best dogs!  As long as you are prepared for several months of mayhem while you raise through the puppy stage - WHEW! - you will come out with the best dog you could ask for!

Great advice.  I will have to get more information.  My last dog, Max--a super energized Weimaraner, was a real test with his separation anxiety.  It  took months and months of training/praying, and he turned out to be the greatest companion, living 14.5 years.  That experience has hopefully prepared me to handle the toughest of cases...  I am in it for the long haul :).

As follow-up, the last litter from the female was 8...and, they were all beautiful (litter photos on Face Book).  The FB page is wonderful for seeing past litters and comments from satisfied customers.

With Mother Nature playing such a big role, you can only hope that the mommy does conceive soon and then you will have a better idea, within a week or so of when you will get your doodle. Now having said that, are you locked in if this dog doesn't get pregnant for awhile? Are there other litters possible in the near future with this breeder? It really doesn't seem unreasonable to wait that long, as breeder selection is very important so I wish you luck and lots of patience!!!!!!

...AND why are you set on a male?  Just curious?   

I grew up with male poodles, a gender preference of my mother's, and I guess that that is how this preference developed.  I've just had the greatest experience with our male pets in the past.  A female would not be a deal killer, just a new experience.  

Thanks for all of the wonderful advice.  I am not sure where I am on the list, I've only been told that I am "firmly" positioned.  I do know that this will be her last standard litter prior to the Fall.  I will just sit tight and hope for the best.  As many of you have said, I know that it will be worth the wait.  I will most definitely keep you posted.

I always preferred males too...but I love my Peri! 

Other advice: does your breeder recommend any other breeders that are reputable?  You could get on their list if you end up not getting a puppy from this litter.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service