DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

This question has probably been asked a lot, but I've read through quite a few other discussions and I still am wondering when (if ever) the matting stops! My puppy is now almost 11 months, and the last couple of months he has been matting like crazy. I try to keep him brushed, but no matter how much I brush him I can't seem to keep up. He didn't have this problem as a puppy, so I'm assuming he's going through a coat change and getting his adult coat. I just ordered a Safari De-Matting comb, so I'm hoping that will help. Does anyone have any other recommendations, and is this going to be how it is from now on, or will it get better after all the puppy hair comes out? I'm not totally sure what his coat is. I'm thinking it's fleece, but it's hard to say for sure!

Views: 1491

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It looks like a loose fleece coat to me and I can relate to this. The coat change can take months. I find using a rotating pin comb and a green les pooches brush plus a mat breaker and using a spray detangler is what worked for me. You have to get the comb through to the skin. If you hit snags and can't tease them out use the mat remover. I know some people take the coat right down during this phase but I managed without doing it. You really need to spend some time every day at least that's my experience. If I left it for even a few days it was murder. The grooming group has lots of "tool" and product tips. Only bath a dog when you are sure the coat is matt free otherwise they harden and have to be cut out. Riley is now two and just recently seems to be going through another phase so I'm at it with a vengeance lol.
When will it stop? Hard to say if matting will ever stop. Different coat types, different lengths, different weather, rough play with other dogs all play into Matt's in my experience. I keep on top of it as best I can and Nicky's suggestions of tools is perfect. I often have to slice through them with very sharp scissors. Or use the spray. Most doodles have high maintenance coats, especially if kept long. Once I can no longer keep ahead of the mats, my two get clipped short, very short!

My two labradoodles have very different coats. Roo has spiral wool and Tigger has curly fleece.  Both coats are difficult to demat.  I have learned to keep the high matting areas, under ears, collar area clipped close all the time.  Otherwise, like Sue I clip them down when the mats are just too much.  Also I live in Southern California, with a pool so they are clipped short. about an inch from May to Oct.  They can make it from a late Sept or early Oct clip to about late Jan or mid Feb before the mats are just too much to deal with.

Oh yes, forgot to add about the pool. Big matting factor here. I do the same Maryann, two really close cuts a year. One for swimming and one for mat control. Otherwise it's manageable most of the year.
And I don't even leave them an inch. It's close, like 1/2 inch. I have a 3/4 " blade and I go both directions with it to get really short. I love seeing their muscular bodies when it's that short. Right now they are two big puffballs!

Thanks for the responses. You all have adorable doodles!

My Les Poochs brush has REALLY made a Difference!!!! Check it out on Doodlecountry.com. My male Goldendoodle can get mats. The Brush has been a Lifesaver!!!!

I keep their coats pretty short. I use a green Les Poochs brush on both of them but it is essential for Kona (the black one). I used to think I was doing a great job brushing. Then I learned about line brushing in the grooming group. I actually was not getting all the way to the skin and the mats were forming. Now I can stay on top of it. You are in the hardest part... the dreaded coat change. Join the grooming group for great tips.

I also use the Green Les Poochs brush.....Your right Bonnie, line brushing makes a difference!!!!

Charlie doesn't really appreciate mat removal, so I just snip them out. Trying to break them up is pretty futile. It seems as soon as I do it, that specific area is prone again within a day or two. 

Cowboy magic and metal comb made it easy for me to manage mats. CM makes him a a slippery so becareful not to appy to much. My groomer did an adorable cut on Jackson. His coat was cut short but his face and tail long and fluffy and legs feathery. I was having a hard time battling mats but the cut made it easier. Groomer said his if he get wet I have to immediately proper dry and brush or he will mat up.
Sam, my goldendoodle, is matting like crazy right now! He is 9 months old and gets them under his armpits, where his walking harness sits. He hates any metal brush or comb, which makes dematting very difficult. It is very hard to get to his matts under his armpits. Any suggestions there?

I will try the Cowboy Magic, too. Thanks! Truman has an appointment with the groomer next week. I'm hoping to keep him as long as possible but get the mats under control!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service