DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

As most of you know, we are getting our second doodle in about 5 weeks and the nervousness is starting to set in!!!

I have been "working" on DH for a year now to say yes to #2 and now that the time has come I am really starting to get nervous.  I have never owned 2 dogs before so I am really starting to think about the following...

What if he doesn't like to go for car rides? Bailey loves to go!

What if he doesn't like to go to the beach? Bailey does!

What if he doesn't do well in crowds ie. festivals, craft shows etc. Bailey does!

What if he is doesn't like other dogs? Bailey does!

Is it possible to love another doodle as much as I love Bailey?  I am the mother of an only child so I have never had to "spread the love" LOL

I have a wonderful trainer that I have been taking Bailey to since she was about 6 months old, so the training part is not a problem. 

These are just some of the things I think about while trying to sleep at night LOL....

I have a wonderful trainer that I have been taking Bailey to since she was about 6 months old, so the training part is not a problem. 

From all you "two doodle families", Is this normal or am I just nuts? LOL

Views: 672

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOL.....I remember having all these same questions and feelings just before our second child was about to be born!

PS...I had more than enough love to go around and it all worked out fine! ;)

Your second pup will too!

I'm not a 2 doodle family, but I think that those feelings are normal. You are going to love the new addition! It won't be the same, it will be different, but it will be a good different. I can't wait... I'm so excited for you!

Our story is similar to Linda's - we have always had dogs and always more than one, they don't live long enough - try as I might to live life without dogs it didn't/doesn't work. When we decided to add a dog it was agreed, there would be at least two. 

I was developing a case of nerves myself! She had been so awesome, how could a second one fit in? She was so smart and so responsive, how could a second one keep up with that?  Did I have one of those dogs that would be happier as an only?  I'm no kid any more, how on earth would I manage another puppy - so we looked at adults instead.  We looked and looked.  Journey Doodle was only a year old when we got Elmer age 8weeks(non Doodle) and have not looked back.  I hope you enjoy having two - it is a lot like having kids, they bicker, run in the house, are more prone to ignore you, eat twice as much, make twice as much poo, and they don't always agree on anything.  Twice as much lead to get tangled up in, twice as much hassle for grooming, and ten times the laughs.    Unending love.

Don't over think it.  I have always had two dogs, it will all work out !!!  My Sasha was 10 months old when I got Oliver, he was 10 wks old so they were both pretty young and really grew up together.  They love to play and are company for each other when I go to work.  They are both very much individual dogs but love to do things together as well.   Each doodle most certainly has their own personality.  My Sasha is more "high strung and skidish" and my Oliver is kind of a laid back type of guy.  My Oliver just followed Sasha around and it was easier to train him, he did the stairs the second he came home where I had to carry Sasha for a month !!!  Its great just sitting back and watching them play - you will totally LOVE having two doodles !!!  I promise :)  

I found it definitely more time consuming initially.  And, I won't lie - there have been many times when I have threatened Mr. Beau with being returned to the breeder!  LOL! But in honesty, I would not want to be without either of my sweet boys!   I am looking forward to seeing photos of your new addition and hearing about your experiences of being a two doodle mama!

Hi Elizabeth,

We have four doodles! Watching these dogs interact with each other is one of our greatest joys! Much more entertaining than anything on television. They each have very different personalities and that just adds to the fun.

When we got our fourth doodle, our second doodle really seemed to dislike her. He growled at her a lot! After some time they have become best buddies. So it might take some time. 

We have always had multiple pets and we wouldn't have it any other way.

Brenda Wilz

This all sounds like you getting yourself mentally prepared for the "What if's" that probably will never happen and you'll look back at this post and giggle.....All of your concerns will work out, one way or the other. If the new one doesn't like or do what Bailey likes, then you will make adjustments that they both can live with. Just like you would for a second child in the home. And I am sure there will be moments of "OMG! WHAT HAVE I DONE?" but mostly because there will be times that it will be a little difficult and you might long for the old routine again. But the new "2 doodle normal" will settle in and you will LOVE having two. I think my house would feel empty if I were to only have one now. I can see me having only one someday, maybe in my 70's or 80's but for now, two is perfect. ENJOY.

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement..  I know things will be fine,  just had to voice them so I didn't think I was going crazy! LOL

I am so excited for our little addition, he is a whopping 3.5 weeks old and I can't wait to pick him out and bring him home.  Bailey is gonna be a great big sissy to Bruin  He's  a lucky boy to have her to "show him the ropes"!!!

Yes, you are NUTS! :-)  Everyone who adds a second doodle is, LOL. Not true.

It's kind of funny, but I was going through all this almost two years ago. Even after we brought Auggie home, I still was not sure I can relate to the second doodle. Look through my blogs and discussions from two years ago. The whole DK community had to hold my hand so that I could get over my crazy feelings.

So my answer in short is: it will be just fine. A little crazy for a few months, but just fine in the long run.

The little brother will be completely different from Bailey, just try not to compare them. That was my biggest mistake. I thought I was going crazy after we brought Auggie home. It was NOT the dog I've imagined him to be (again, I had nothing else to compare him than to Monty). Auggie was screaming and throwing up during car rides, which Monty never did. Auggie would not understand he needs to ring the bells to go potty outside, Monty got that on the third day. Auggie would destroy all the bushes in the backyard and would poop everywhere. Monty never tried to be the gardener and only went to do his business in one spot. And so on... you get the picture.

So yes, they will be completely different, but in a wonderful way. And yes, it will be a little bit harder with two...the walks, the car rides, all the other activities. I was used to taking Monty with me everywhere, even to work. I can't do that with two. So I just alternate them from time to time.

I can't wait for your pictures and the updates. It kind of makes me giggle that somebody is in my shoes now. Not to worry, it will be just fine.

I don't have two doodles, but do have a Chihuahua and doodle and I will never regret my decision to have two at once.  Is it chaotic? Sure. Is it a pain?  Sure.  Should you expect your new one to be the same as Bailey?  No. They will be different. It will be hard. But you have a training plan and with patience, it will all work out :)

Thank God I have my Peri because I won't be as devastated when Taquito crosses rainbow ridge. I never want to come home and not hear the familiar paws running across the house to come greet me!

We are a two doodle family and love, love, love it.  Thurber was almost one when we started looking for a playmate. We were very fortunate to find a 9 month old nearby (Didn't want to do the new puppy thing again since we thought Thurber would want someone big enough to play with from day one. ) Our concern was how would the dogs adapt to each other. Thurber is very social, very outgoing and full of himself. Loves everyone and assumes everyone loves him. Farley is more reserved, cautious around people, timid with new dogs - can appear aggressive, though it's all a bluff. All that said, the two dogs bonded on day one and are inseparable. Farley doesn't enjoy the dog parks as much as Thurber, but does well in other social settings and is learning from Thurber's joie de vivre.  To watch the two of them

eat, sleep and play together is so heartwarming - my husband and I are constantly marveling how lucky we are to have such awesome dogs - and how lucky they are to have each other!

I wish you lots of luck with your new addition - I'm guessing you will be very pleased to be a two doodle family! 

Its funny, I don't think I worried much before the addition of our 2nd doodle, Oscar, at least not over the things you mentioned. I was more worried/concerned about tackling puppyhood again. I had not forgotten how exhausting the first months were. Now, DH certainly did worry about some of those things, although his main concern was what if Lucy feels jealous of the attention Oscar gets. There was no reason to worry, as Lucy turned out being thrilled with having a little playmate 24/7. She actually seemed to mother/nurture Oscar in many ways, and taught him so very much, it was amazing. As others have said, the puppy will take it's cues from the first. I remember the first time I tried brushing Oscar's teeth. He wanted nothing to do with it! But after watching Lucy get her teeth brushed, he wanted HIS done! So basically everything Lucy liked/tolerated, Oscar liked/tolerated. The new puppy will have it's own personality and WILL be different from the first in many ways. For instance, Oscar loves other dogs more than Lucy. Oscar is food motivated, Lucy is not. Oscar is mellow and easy going, while Lucy is high strung and sensitive. The thing is, their different personalities complement each other perfectly, and they just seem to 'click' together. As for loving the 2nd as much as the first, I had that concern as well. That we got a male as our 2nd may have helped in that regard for me. In the past I've usually had female pets, for whatever reason, but the males I've had always held a special place in my heart. And so it is with Oscar. It didn't happen overnight, but over time its gotten stronger and stronger. It is possible to love both just as deeply.

I'm sure you'll find all your worrying is for not. Save it for when/if you ever need it! If you ever do have legitimate worries, it will probably be for things you never even considered before. So just sit back and enjoy the ride! Congratulations, btw!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service