DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

The short:

New doodle coming home in a few weeks.  First time dog owner, first time doodle owner.  Some other internet dog forums (filled with non-doodle lovers) are telling me how terribly difficult grooming and even brushing a doodle is.

The question:

What's the truth?

Views: 497

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Never be scared of hair,It grows back imsuggestmjoing the grooming website on here . It is very helpful.

Not even a little bit scared. I do my own grooming and many of us do. I once wrote a discussion about scissor cutting and the responses were helpful too.

http://www.doodlekisses.com/group/doodlegrooming/forum/topics/the-p...

The Doodle Grooming Group is full of information.

There's nothing to be even a tiny bit afraid of, if you use the right tools get the dog (hopefully a puppy) used to being brushed from the start then it's a gradual process as the puppy coat is very easy to manage so you use that time to learn.. There are so many people here on DK in the grooming group who are so helpful that even if you go wrong it won't be a catastrophe.  I groom Riley myself and he is going through a coat change (almost a year old) at the moment and so far we only went once to a groomer to have a wash when he was a puppy so he wouldn't be scared if I ever decided to bring him later in life.  Go to the Grooming group and take a look there for everything you need to know.

Some coats are hard to maintain, while others are easy.  My dog Gavin became a cinch once his adult coat came in.  He gets a few tangles but hardly ever mats. He sheds lightly.  Mylie who is staying with us right now mats like crazy.  She does not shed.  In her case, she needs to be brushed several times a week to keep on top of it.  Her parents are not into brushing so much, so they keep her coat fairly short.  Don't be afraid, but be aware of the committment and like Nicky said having the right tools is half the battle.  For me that is a metal comb with rotating tines.  A slicker brush is useless on my dog, but a pin brush is good.  Again it depends on the coat you get.  Run to the Grooming group!

I think the key to keeping a doodle mat free in combing more than brushing. I usually comb first and then brush to get the hair that is loosened by the comb. You don't have to do this everyday but it doesn't hurt to run your fingers through the coat every couple of day so you can find any mats that are starting to form.

I know people advocate combing but I really never do. But I do use my fingers a lot and have started a strict brushing regime. It is soooo much easier when you keep up.

I rarely comb too - the Les Poochs brush works wonders for the mats and tangles

Exactly.

When I bought my doodle, I was thinking his coat would be low maintenance.  It hasn't turned out that way. He doesn't shed though!   It depends on their coat type as to how much work they will be.  You really do need to brush - and comb them as often as possible.  I started brushing my baby doodle every day.  He is the softest fur you will ever feel.  However, I didn't know to comb him as well.  Underneath his soft hair on top he was starting to get mats around 8-9 months or so.  That's when I first realized how important combing is as well.  You will love your doodle so much you won't mind.  Trust me. 

I started grooming dogs when I got my doodles (so did a lot of other people) so how hard could it be?? Seriously, I groom my three and about 8 other people's doodles as a small home business--and got most of my advice right here on DK--you can do it! Just be sure to get the right tools, as others have said. Good place to start is www.doodlecountry.com, owned by a DK member and specializing in a lot of tools that are useful for doodle coats.

The amount of brushing and combing that your doodle will need will depend on his/her coat.  My Webster has thick, coarse curls; never mats, brushes easily and clips like a dream.  Charlotte has fine, silky curls; her coat mats and is a pain to clip.  Because I am a low maintenance kind of person, I keep my dogs clipped 1-3 inches long.  This makes them both easy to brush, and if I can't get a mat out easily, I just scissor it out.  My mom has a red mini wavy coated goldendoodle and a blond standard wavy coated goldendoodle who both brush easily, same with my sister's black wavy coated goldendoodle.

Relax and enjoy the anticipation of your dog.  Honestly, you might not know how difficult grooming will be until your dog is a couple years old.  They can have coat changes and "blow" their puppy coat before settling in to their adult coat.  By that time, you'll have it all under control and you'll be helping other doodle newbies with their questions :-)

Fear is from the unknown.   Since you do not have your doodle for a few weeks spend some time reading countless posts available to you right here on Doodle Kisses.

If you do your homework ( reading in the Grooming Group)   by the time your puppy arrives you will be that far ahead. You won't be able to contain yourself from diving right in.

GROOMING GROUP

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service