DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Can anyone tell me the difference in both the look and temperament of a curly haired F1b goldendoodle versus a purebred poodle?  I am torn between the two...

Views: 8951

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I left you a message.
Surfing the web is probably not going to help. The good breeders really don't advertise, they especially don't advertise "puppies for sale", and any poodle breeder who does is probably someone to stay away from, lol.
I have a standard F1b who is energetic ( I don't know if hyper is the right word) and needs constant entertainment. Constant. He is extremely smart, learns well, but prefers to learn with play. We dance and play frisbee together. He is not taught as well with treats but toys.

He can look like a poodle or a doodle. If a person knows what a doodle is than they know he is a doodle, but others who only know poodles think he is a FAT Poodle :) Actually the term that was used once was " Gee, your poodle is so thick"

Good Luck with your choice
I think it depends dog to dog. Dexter (F1B labradoodle) loves to play, but after just a little attention, he will plop down and sleep. He's really getting lazy as he gets older. Our other doodle Kirby demands more attention, but he's not a F1B (he's half irish setter and half poodle) so I don't think that will help you :)
Standard poodles are great dogs (we had them when I was growing up) and I totally agree that temperament can vary greatly - best to see the parents (and more if you can) and to explain to the breeder what you are looking for in terms of the right dog to fit your lifestyle.

That being said, poodles may not need constant attention, but they benefit greatly from being intellectually as well as physically challenged. That can, of course, carry over to doodles.

Just food for thought - training is important regardless of the breed you choose and consistently working with your dog is the key to having a happy dog and a happy family.
This would be an extremely difficult decision for me. I have had the pleasure and honor of sharing my life with standard poodles since I was a teenager. They have all been the most wonderful canine friends to have. They have all been good with every member of the family, not singling out one person as a favorite.

Their behavior was wonderful, too, well behaved, they were easy to train and calm in their temperament. By two years of age my poodles were all well trained. They are very intelligent and eager to please.

The grooming was the "high maintenance" type, typically needing to be groomed every 6 weeks, and oh, how they loved to be groomed!

On the problem side, their ears always needed special attention as they tend to have hair in them that needs to be kept cleaned out or they might be prone to ear infections.

They also have webbed toes, being natural swimmers. They were originally used as water retrievers, though my last standard would not get her feet wet for anything!

My Golden Doodle is a wonderful girl. I'm sure since you have found DK you have been reading all about the doodles. The biggest difference with my doodle vs the poodles I have had is that she is a clown. At two and a half she still has puppy behaviors and has been much more difficult to get her to consistently behave. She has the ability to learn quickly but seems to have a stubborn streak and does what she wants anyway. No means no only when she wants it to.

I am totally crazy about her. She is a sweet, lovable, cuddly dog and a wonderful friend for my grandchildren. The
thought of having to choose one or the other would be impossible for me. Personally, if I could have both, I would.
Good luck with your choice, you can't go wrong either way.
We decided on an apricot standard poodle :) The litter was born two weeks ago, so we will be getting our puppy at the end of may. Can't wait! Thanks for all the advice!
Congratulations! I think you made a great decision. Be sure to post some photos if you get a chance. Even though we have doodles, we love poodles too!
Congratulations we know you will be happy ! Only wish we could have another pup, that we we could have both a doodle and a poodle!
I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to hear updates and see photos. And apricot standard poodle is exactly what I dream of... so I'm glad to have someone to live vicariously through!
All right! I know it was a tough decision, but an apricot standard is a great choice. Male or female? Love to see photos of him(her). Our last poodle was a standard and he was a joy. He was not fond of children, however, if they were trying to touch him. Maybe because he was never around children. I'll try to find a photo to post.
Thanks for the well wishes, everyone! I think we are going for a male... there are five boys to chose from and we get first pick. We want the sweetest one!
My daughter adopted a 5 year old, silver, male standard poodle last October from a rescue group. He is the sweetest dog ever and he loves everyone, especially children. When she takes him for walks children frequently come up to him to pet him and he just enjoys every minute of their attention.
When I can figure out how to post pics I will try to do so.

Again, our congratulations!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service