DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I would like to know what your views on tail docking are. This practice totally confuses me, so I'd like to educate myself.

Views: 2736

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ROFL!, Karen, I nearly had to clean mocha from my laptop screen after that one!
Kathy
Cruel, cruel, cruel. If a procedure is not for their own health and well-being (spaying/neutering of course IS for their health and well-being), it should never be done. Same for ear cropping, declawing cats, and whatever else people do to their pets for their own convenience or vanity. That's my opinion.
We have three dogs. Two of ours have their declaws and one had the removed by the breeder. I am against having them removed as they are like thumbs, dogs do use them for holding things and they do help them in other activities. To remove the declaws at anytime other than when they are very young - it is both painful and not just a simple surgery. Also your puppy has gotten used to using them so it would be like taking away the thumbs, I think it would be an unwise decision. I have not seen on any forum where anyone has removed the declaws other than as a very young pup or due to an accident. Also from what I have read the number of dogs that do injure their declaws is very small. Please do not have it done. You may also want to consult a second vet for another opinion.
I don't think there is much good reason to remove them. Here are two past discussion on this:

http://www.doodlekisses.com/forum/topics/2065244:Topic:139451

http://www.doodlekisses.com/forum/topics/dew-claw-removal
My vet said that after newborn age, removing dewclaws would be like amputating a finger.
Here is an excerpt from the article ‘A History of Tail Docking’ by Janet Farricelli ...

It must be considered as well that centuries ago in Germany, taxes were collected from the owners of non-working dogs, these taxes were defined as "tail taxes" since the distinguishing feature between a working dog and a non working dog was the presence or abscense of it's tail.
This is because most breeds in particular had their tails docked depending on how they were primarily utilized at work, here are some examples:

-Poodles had tails docked because they were used for retrieving ducks in ponds and somehow their tail interfered with swimming activities. It apppeared as well that a Poodle with docked tail was much more visible when underwater.

full article here:

BTW, I have had to have dew claws removed on adult dogs due to constant tearing of the claw while working over rough terrain. It is a much less serious procedure to have this done for puppies than adult dogs (just like removing tonsils in humans).

That being said, Harlow is in full possession of her tail and dew claws. =)
I think that the dew claw issue is a little different. I have seen some severly large dew claws on labs mostly that hook and just flop. They can be an accident and or infection waiting to happen. My Neely uses his paws like hands and his dew claws aren't in the way or useless so therefore unneccessary to remove.
Ears never.
Cats declawing, adopt a stray...keep the cat...and the furniture...worth the trauma in the short term for long term gain (a home) Again only if the cat is destructive, not just because it is a house cat.
My boys are circumcised as well. I worked in long term care with elderly men. I also knew a man that had to have it done in his 30's. Mean but clean????
My opinions

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service