DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hello everyone!

I am sorry for the length of this post. Thank you very much if you make it to the end and actually have the energy to comment afterwards ;)

Riley is now 4 months old with all of the proper shots needed to visit the local off-leash dog park. For our first visit I made sure it was at a time that the park was completely empty so she could get used to all of the different smells. Well, we had our second visit last night when the park was filled with all sorts of different dog breeds.

One of the owners we met had her three bearded collies there. (They were HUGE but really sweet to Riley) The lady introduced herself and said she either worked for, or runs, a bearded collie rescue, I was barely listening at this point because her 3 dogs were surrounding Riley. After asking me what breed Riley was mixed with I told her that she was an F2b doodle. She insisted that I was wrong about Riley having any relation to a poodle, lab, or golden. I kind of laughed it off and told her that since I found her on Craigslist anything was possible, but that the couple I got her from insisted that they purchased her from a Labradoodle breeder.

Of course they were complete strangers getting rid of a young puppy (after only having her less than a month) on Craigslist and may have lied or been lied to. I wasn't even looking for a dog at the time because we had lost our 13 year old lab/pit in January and the ache was still there. I was looking for another kitten to keep my daughter's cat company!  But when I saw her face I couldn't resist! I only reimbursed them for the first vet visit ($100) so it's not like I spent near the amount a doodle would have cost, though I was wanting a Labradoodle when the time felt right.

So I've been doing research on bearded collies and Riley does fit the bearded family, but she also fits into the doodle family. The fact that she is greying is common in both bearded and poodle breeds. The big nose, small eyes, and high ears also seem to be a trait of both doodle and bearded. The one thing that almost convinces me that Riley may be a beardie instead of a doodle, I can find examples of her coat and coloring online for beardie mixes, but not Doodles.

So, I'm going to have her DNA tested just so I can know what health problems may arise in the future.

Either way my family loves her more than I ever thought possible, so she is stuck with us =)

If it turns out that I do not in fact own a doodle, I will suspend my account until I give Riley a doodle sibling LOL

Views: 1402

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Riley is absolutely adorable and looks Doodle to me!  I get so tired of people and their "expert" advise on "my" dog!  

This puppy looks kind of like Sheba when she was

a pup.  This puppy is up for adoption with the DRC. It is a Goldendoodle!

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/26887642

Basically most of us have...  Mutts!  Truth

This puppy is going to be BEAUTIFUL

Riley looks Doodley to me and is a beautiful dog. Couldn't the coloring come from one of the parents having a parti-colored coat? She actually looks like Fudge's dad and he was a Labradoodle. Either way, it doesn't matter and you have a wonderful dog.

Meet Rio--he is a labradoodle and his coloring comes from his F1 LD dad who must have had a parti poodle mom--but his coloring looks more like a spaniel's to me!  However, since i whelped him myself and his mom is my multigen labradoodle Lyric, I don't need a DNA test to tell me what he is! Doodles come in MANY varieties and i would not think that Riley couldn't be a doodle for one stinking minute! Stay on DK--Please!

This photo has me convinced! His coloring looks almost exactly like Riley's will when her coat completes the greying. Her hind legs may have more black, and hopefully the two white stripes on her back will stay put :)

The Phantom markings are rare, but oh so gorgeous.   I would love to feel the coat, but oh I guarantee this is going to be one fine looking dog at maturity - lucky you! 

I'm beginning to like this game ' what kind of dog?" but sometimes it's a head shaker.   Mine can't possibly be a goldendoodle, she is black... :) 

So funny - I've heard some of the same comments. One guy told me that he knew Cody was a standard poodle, but what is that one? (Referring to Casey) when I told him that they were both Goldendoodles, he laughed and told me - - no, that he raises poodles and that Cody is a standard poodle. I then told him that Cody and Casey are litter-mate brothers. Mom is a F1 Goldendoodle and dad is a standard parti poodle. They guy went away very frustrated still trying to tell me that I was mistaken. There is another of their littermate siblings that had coloring similar to Riley. He looked a lot like him dad, but his coloring wasn't as defined as parti poodle dad - his colored patches were more muted. In any case he is - just as Riley is - very beautiful. How much fun is it to have these guys who definitely draw everyone's eyes!

There are several labradoodle breeders in Virginia that have puppies that look like Riley.  Lots of variations with the poodle genes-parti colored poodles could give him his markings. His coat looks similar to my doodle's. Don't leave DK!

OMD she is so adorable! Doodle or not that is one cute puppy and you are welcome here. :-)

People love telling me Darwin is a sheepdog. Whatever they want to think... ha ha.

Wondering if there is some aussiedood in her. Either way...she is gorgeous and you truly scored with her. Best wishes!
Lucky you to have such a beautiful puppy. Enjoy watching her grow and change! Please stay on DK and post pictures as Riley grows up. I would love to see her "finished" look.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service