DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I went to library today w my kids.  I was in the sci fi section - when all of a sudden I hear a VERY loud woman asking everyone in her path - if someone owned a nissan suv with a dog in the car.  

(Just a overview.  The temp is 87 - but really really humid.)

I heard a man - asking if the windows were rolled down?  the woman replied that the windows were rolled down but that it didn't matter b/c it was so hot and that the person needed to take their dog home.  I think then - asking people individually wasn't working - so she started almost yelling.  she proceeded to stomp thru the library - asking this repeatedly

Now - I'm not saying this woman's actions were wrong.  I have never left my pup in the car(but my main reason is that he can't be trusted to do so and also I would never leave a dog in a hot car) but I really think that she could have handled herself better.  Most people were staring at her and giving really odd looks and muttering that - it wasn't any of her business.

I think there are a couple issues here. 

1.  Its the library (where its really quiet). 

2. 87 degrees (which is not unbearably hot)  but very humid

3.  she wasn't "asking"   She seemed really confrontational. 

I tried to think - what would have been a better way..  I was thinking - maybe talking to someone in the library = who could make some sort of an announcement or maybe call the police or maybe leave a note - I don't know.  I know it can be very bad for the dog - but I feel like this woman came off as - one of those crazy obsessive pet people - on a war path.

I myself did not see the dog or the car.

what do you guys think would have been the right thing to do?

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

amen, amen and AMen...

While I would like to think I would not have been the crazy woman....if I was in this situation, I think I would have done the same thing as this lady.  (In fact, I've done some scary things when it comes to helping animals....I jumped in front of a speeding dump truck about 2 months ago to get it to stop as 2 Chihuahuas darted across the street)  

Sure, I think telling the front desk would have been a better idea, but who knows...maybe she tried doing that and they ignored her?  I give her credit for trying to help out and not simply walking away.....we do that all too often, don't we?? 

If it was a child or infant the post would read like this:

"Woman angry about an infant in a hot car

I went to library today w my kids.  I was in the sci fi section - when all of a sudden I hear a VERY loud woman asking everyone in her path - if someone owned a nissan suv with an infant in the car.  

(Just a overview.  The temp is 87 - but really really humid.)

I heard a man - asking if the windows were rolled down?  the woman replied that the windows were rolled down but that it didn't matter b/c it was so hot and that the person needed to take their infant home.  I think then - asking people individually wasn't working - so she started almost yelling.  she proceeded to stomp thru the library - asking this repeatedly

Now - I'm not saying this woman's actions were wrong.  I have never left my infant  in the car(but my main reason is that he can't be trusted to do so and also I would never leave an  infant  in a hot car) but I really think that she could have handled herself better.  Most people were staring at her and giving really odd looks and muttering that - it wasn't any of her business.

I think there are a couple issues here. 

1.  Its the library (where its really quiet). 

2. 87 degrees (which is not unbearably hot)  but very humid

3.  she wasn't "asking"   She seemed really confrontational. 

I tried to think - what would have been a better way..  I was thinking - maybe talking to someone in the library = who could make some sort of an announcement or maybe call the police or maybe leave a note - I don't know.  I know it can be very bad for the infant - but I feel like this woman came off as - one of those crazy obsessive child caring people - on a war path.

I myself did not see the infant or the car.

what do you guys think would have been the right thing to do?"

This does put a different slant to it.

What would you do if it was an infant ?

Great food for thought Andy and Sharon.

I don't think those two words are interchangeable. 

How I would react - if I saw an infant in the car - in the same situation would be 1000% different - as opposed to seeing a dog in the same position.

I pamper/love my dog - but his needs never come before my kids. 

I think a dog much like an infant is at the mercy of the person responsible for taking care of them so while as a whole of course an infant has a higher value by far, we are equally responsible as adults to take care of all things that depend on us to.

If I ever saw a dog in distress in a car, you better believe that I will bust out that person's window and get that dog and not even wait for 911.  Same as I would do for any human being or living thing in distress.

I do leave Jack in the car some times, I have two sets of keys one I leave the car running and ac blowing full blown on him and I am less then a few minutes, or I bring him in the store with me, or I don't go. Period.

I fully realize that a dog is not a human being but that does not make their suffering any more ok then it does a humans.

I agree with Jennifer.

I would never put my dog's needs above my kids', but I wouldn't (and didn't) put my kids' needs above the dog's, either. It's rarely an either or proposition.

I live in Florida - children and pets die in hot cars here way to often - the saddest case I saw was a loving dad who took a sick toddler to the doctor - raced back to work as he had taken time off - but forgot to drop the toddler off at the sitter's first.  That poor poor baby cooked in the back seat of that car.  The poor dad's life is ruined because he was pre-occupied.
I don't think it's an either or situation I see both as emergencies and would follow through with the same response.  If there were two cars side by side one with a baby and one with a dog then I would rescue the baby first.
Sorry but I have called 911 twice after 2 episodes of seeing a dog stuck in a car, once was a summer in TX!!!  So I am with crazy lady, maybe she was trying to bring some shame to the owner's game:)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service